Yeast question

Bennyboyca

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, just a quick question, I’m going to be brewing Simple Citra IPA which I found the recipe to on here, the thing is, it’s a 1 gallon recipe and I want to make a bigger batch, so I’m going to times everything by 4 or 5, my question is, it says 1 packet of muntons yeast (for the 1 gallon), if I times it by 4 or 5, how any packets of yeast do you think I should use?

Thanks,
Ben.

P.S. here is the recipe: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/231072/simple-citra-ipa-one-gallon

This is going to sound strange: One packet. I'm assuming it's something like a 11 gram sachet, a pretty standard size for beer yeast. Putting one packet in one gallon is a huge overpitch - again, that won't generally harm the beer but it's about five times what you really need for the batch. Dividing the yeast is indeed possible - use one-fifth of the packet for one gallon but here's the problem: Potential contamination. So since dried yeast is generally so cheap, it's easier and less risky just to dump the entire packet in. A single packet of the yeast provides somewhere around 100 billion yeast cells if you take the "sprinkle" route, about a third more if you rehydrate, both cases are more than enough to ferment a 1.058 wort.

While 11 grans is the norm, I'm pretty sure Munton's Premium Gold Ale yeast comes in 6 gram packets. If so, you'll need a second pack.

Use a whole pack of yeast (typically 11g) since you are basically doing a 5 gallon batch now. Unless it's like @BOB357 mentioned being a smaller pack, then 2.
And just FYI 8n case you weren't aware there is a scale feature in the recipe editor that may help you out with the other ingredients.

Back