Yeast Pitch Calculator (iphone App)

Mase

Trial Member
Reaction score
Edit: Apologies, this thread should have been in the iPhone Application section. Can a mod move it for me? The calculator on the website has the same results, so it is not iPhone specific.

Reading through John Palmer's "How to Brew" (3rd Edition), Chapter 6 "Yeast", table (9) for "Estimated Final Yeast Count (Billions) Based on Initial Count and Starter Size". When comparing between the iPhone App and John Palmer's Table 9, there's major differences in the Final Yeast Cell Count. For Example:

Using the iPhone App (Starter page):
  • Starting Yeast Count: 100 Billion cells
  • Starter Size: 1 Liter
  • Gravity: 1.040
  • Ending Cell Count:
    • Braukaiser - Stir Plate: 260 Billion Cells
    • White - No Agitation: 151 Billion Cells
    • White - Shaking: 201 Billion Cells
    • White - Stir Plate: 251 Billion Cells
Per Table 9 of How to Brew, 100 Billion Cell Count with 1 Liter starer: 172 Billion Cells. Table 9 doesn't state which "Growth Model and Aeration" they used.

Am I reading something wrong here?

As a side note, I think the "Making a Starter" in the same chapter is incorrect. "Boil a pint of water and add 1/2 cup... [DME]". I think that yields a ~1.080. I'd have to check my notes at home, but I believe it should be a quart, not a pint.

Last edited:
We don't base our calculator on John Palmer's Book, published in 2006. I'm not surprised there are big differences, but if you look at the "white/no agitation" cell count, it's not that far off of Palmer's 172 billion estimate.

I've been using the BF Yeast Pitch calculator and App for quite sometime and have not had any negative results or off flavors and will continue doing so, just was curious. Thank Yooper.

We don't base our calculator on John Palmer's Book, published in 2006. I'm not surprised there are big differences, but if you look at the "white/no agitation" cell count, it's not that far off of Palmer's 172 billion estimate.

I have noticed that the iPhone app is not working properly. I am unable to select from the drop down menu for starter method.
Also, the calculator on the website no longer contains the stir plate option. Just something that I was hoping would be fixed soon. Love the iPhone app. Thanks

I have noticed that the iPhone app is not working properly. I am unable to select from the drop down menu for starter method.
Also, the calculator on the website no longer contains the stir plate option. Just something that I was hoping would be fixed soon. Love the iPhone app. Thanks

We have stir plate options on the website- you cant find it?

We have stir plate options on the website- you cant find it?
Nope. When I grab the drop down these are my options.
5577A78E-3B69-4D4A-B7AA-19D489568EDD.png

Oh, you’re talking about the White stir plate option. That’s correct- that one was removed as there was a flaw in the formula and it wasn’t giving accurate results. Braukaiser stir plate is there, and other options for shaking/no agitation.

Bummer, I liked using that option. It has been reliable for me and my cell counts matched it pretty closely.

I did not hear that it was found to be unreliable?

In the step ups, it was giving some inaccurate results, like negative cell growth which isn’t possible so unfortunately we had to remove it.

Back