Citra Blonde

Megary

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions as how best to approach a very simple Blonde Ale using only Citra up and down the line?

Why Citra only? Well, because I'm interested in singling out this hop to see what it brings to the table. I've read that there are reservations about bittering with Citra (It's a flavor/aroma hop! It's too harsh for bittering!) but I'm not looking for a bitter IPA beer. I'm more interested in the aroma and flavor that using only Citra will offer.

Here's my thought:

2.5 gallon BIAB

95% 2-Row
5% Pale Wheat

.25oz Citra (12.6) at 50-45 minutes
.50oz at 5-1 minutes
.25oz dry hop after active fermentation for 4 days before kegging.

That would put me at around 25IBU's, give or take. I'm not looking for any more than that.

Ferment clean and cool and then session away.

Thoughts? I'm wondering if I may need an addition around 20-15 minutes or so to accent the flavor...

Might just try a simple SMaSH brew. Thus eliminating the 5% wheat addition.

Do what floats yoyr boat there Megary yep I recon a mid/late boil will bring you some flavour I usually throw these in a 20minutes where I feel I'm going to get more flavour/aroma than bitterness. Keep in mind boil addition if doing any hop stands or whirlpooling your probably best to reduce that boil addition and beer up them late additions to account for extra bitterness from longer isomoeisation time above 80c.
Good luck happy brewing

Citra really shines in the whirlpool. I'd skip the 45-50, do the 20 to build up some IBUs and flavor, whirlpool at least a half ounce and dryhop with at least that much, too. If you were doing something with more oomph than a light blonde, I'd advise doubling or trippling that amount for the whirlpool and dry hop.
PS...whirlpool doesn't have to be anything more than a protracted hop-stand at 170-180. Some agitation probably helps grab more of the juice and aroma, but you risk contamination and hot aeration if you're stirring.

Thanks gentleman. I'll be brewing this next weekend, trying to keep this recipe as simple as possible.

I'm now leaning to 20 minutes, whirlpool, dry. I'll mess with the quantities to get my IBU's in line.

Reactions: J A
Also, I'd mash fairly low for a crisp, relatively dry finish. You'll get a lot of juicy/fruity flavor and aroma from the hops that will enhance the perception of sweetness from the malt. Another option would be to add a little Victory or something similar for a nutty/toasty flavor note to help round out the overall profile.
Good luck. ;)

Last edited:
I recently did a cream ale type beer with an oz of amarillo hops at 20 minutes and 2 minutes for a total of 19 IBUs. The hop character definitely took it out of cream ale range but it was very nice. Kind of reminds me of what you were going for.

At 5%, I would just get rid of the wheat altogether.

Last edited:

Back