Fermentation problem

Jorkki

Trial Member
Reaction score
I made my first BIAB few days ago and trying to do Hefe style batch of ~8 litres. I got problem with fermentation which is stopped after 2 days. First off all it took about 18 hours before first bubbles in waterlock and after 1 and half days of hard bubbling there is no bubbling at all. I used wyeast weihenstephan 3068 yeast and put little over half of package.

I made rookie mistake with mash temperature which was over 70°C for a while.

Sounds within reason to me. Let it go a few more days and take a gravity reading. It just might be done.

I agree with Megary, with 8L of wort and a bit more than half a pack of yeast, there's a good chance fermentation is done. Take a gravity reading and check, but because of the high mash temp expect the gravity to be a bit higher than the recipe would suggest. At this point you are looking for stable readings over a few days.

What was the OG and have you taken a gravity since all activity stops?

Thanks a lot for help! I measure gravity for few days and check if its ready for bottling.

Yep always check gravity that will tell the real story.

Gravity reading is 1.014 and is alike FG on recipe. But i'am concerned about smell. It's lightly pungent and little yeasty but i don't know how hefe should smell before bottling. Should it smell like ready hefeweizen do?

Gravity reading is 1.014 and is alike FG on recipe. But i'am concerned about smell. It's lightly pungent and little yeasty but i don't know how hefe should smell before bottling. Should it smell like ready hefeweizen do?
Not brewed much hefes but if say could be a fermentation by product I'd def still bottle her up let condition then start guzzling it's my understanding them wheat beers are best drunk young.

Hi all, rather than starting another thread I thought I would post here. Hope no one minds.

I was expecting to bottle my AG Smash IPA this weekend. Last night I opened up to take gravity reading and it appeared to stall at 1.020.

I agitated sediment gently to suspend yeast and raised temperature to 24c. Within a few hours airlock activity kicked off again.

My question is how long should I expect it to take for yeast to munch those sugars?

Hi all, rather than starting another thread I thought I would post here. Hope no one minds.

I was expecting to bottle my AG Smash IPA this weekend. Last night I opened up to take gravity reading and it appeared to stall at 1.020.

I agitated sediment gently to suspend yeast and raised temperature to 24c. Within a few hours airlock activity kicked off again.

My question is how long should I expect it to take for yeast to munch those sugars?
Great work on the rouse and temp raise. If it were me I'd take a sample 24 hrs from now but depending on what fermentor looked like. Any krausen just leaving it but hydro tells the story so.just hang in there until gravity is stable over a day or two especially if bottling.

Great work on the rouse and temp raise. If it were me I'd take a sample 24 hrs from now but depending on what fermentor looked like. Any krausen just leaving it but hydro tells the story so.just hang in there until gravity is stable over a day or two especially if bottling.
Thanks for reply. I thought I was going to end up having a sweet lowish ABV but hopefully that won’t be the case

Thanks for reply. I thought I was going to end up having a sweet lowish ABV but hopefully that won’t be the case
The proof is in the pudding I mean ah er the beer my friend! It's a beautiful thing homebrewing and brewing in general it can make a fool or a celebrity out of us all not mater how much we've learned.
Be patient don't rush it take your samples record your data understand it then go from there

The proof is in the pudding I mean ah er the beer my friend! It's a beautiful thing homebrewing and brewing in general it can make a fool or a celebrity out of us all not mater how much we've learned.
Be patient don't rush it take your samples record your data understand it then go from there
Good advice. Providing the yeast doesn’t get stressed I’m sure this one will be good. Here’s hoping

Patience will be your friend, yeast are living organisms, you can't rush them. How long has it been since you pitched?

Yeast is done when it's done. Tautology out of the way, you can generally, and I do mean generally, expect primary to last about a week. It can go longer, with WY3724 I've had primary last a month. I've had fermentation done in 3 days. Many factors are in play and the airlock is a poor indicator. You did what you should have but I'd caution you to trust your gravity measuring device rather than the airlock.

Stable gravity readings over 2-3 days will tell you when fermentation is done. I don't see where you mentioned your expected OG/FG numbers, strain of yeast, and whether you are bottling or kegging.

Stable gravity readings over 2-3 days will tell you when fermentation is done. I don't see where you mentioned your expected OG/FG numbers, strain of yeast, and whether you are bottling or kegging.
Expected OG 1.057 (got 1.054) FG should be 1.010. Yeast was Safale 05 and its being bottled, which is why i'm a bit cautious.

I have had 05 go as low as 1008, and finish as high as 1012. If it is still 1014 for a third day, I would think you should be okay to bottle.

Others more experienced can either confirm or deny this thought...

Back