Hi, from Star City , Indiana

MiketheB

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I've been a member since abt 2 months ago. Still have a lot to learn. I started out about 4 years ago w/ extract and the last six months I've started partial brewing. What a thrill! Still at 2-2 1/2 gallon but ready for 5.

Last edited:
I'm brewing a 2 Hearted Clone right as we speak... Any one trying an overnight chill for that? i'm doing it in the kettle; nearly full with a San spray around lid...

Australian guys (Girls) out there, I would like to hear pros and cons.

Welcome!

You'll get more IBUs and hop character doing no chill, pretty much like a long steep or whirlpool. Outside of that you should be fine if your sanitztion is up to snuff.

Thanks, Bob357! Thats what I'm doing. I'll let you know how it turns out.

But remember you'll get extra isomorisation out of them boil hops too. Be careful with them early hop additions if going no chill.

Good luck hope it turns out great welcome to the forum.

Hello Everyone!

I've been a member since abt 2 months ago. Still have a lot to learn. I started out about 4 years ago w/ extract and the last six months I've started partial brewing. What a thrill! Still at 2-2 1/2 gallon but ready for 5.
My 2 cents: Don't rush to all-grain! Do extract until you're completely comfortable with first, fermentation (the second most important factor in your beer's quality), sanitation (the most important factor in your beer's quality), all the hot-side processes and transferring and chilling hot wort. I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to up my batch size - I find myself returning to smaller batches after having way too much beer on my hands. Extract gets a bit of a bad name but hey, my next batch is planned to be extract and I have medals for extract beers. Learn your brewing and fermentation processes, then jump into the mash tun!

I've been brewing about 30 years and switched to 2.5 gallon batches a few years ago. Unless you drink a lot of beer, 5 gallons lasts a while. With the smaller batches, I keep a continuous rotation of 2-3 different beers on tap.

Besides sanitation, two things can help you make really good beer from extract. The first is fermentation temperature and the second is steeping grains. These can help to make beer as good, if not better than all grain.

Back