Question for extract brewers

oliver

Premium Member
Reaction score
Any extract brewers, looking for open feedback, how do you feel about the quality of the extract (both dry and liquid) you use?

If Extract 1 costs less than Extract 2, and Extract 1 also doesn't have as good of quality and flavors as Extract 2, would you feel any way about that? Would you be more inclined to buy the higher priced extract knowing that it's better quality? Or is extract extract, and is price the more important factor? Any and all responses would be great!

I use dry pretty exclusively. LHBS carries Briess. I've never been disappointed. Shop also sells LME, cheaper but more potential for oxidation.

I use dry pretty exclusively. LHBS carries Briess. I've never been disappointed. Shop also sells LME, cheaper but more potential for oxidation.
If they stopped carrying Briess and carried another brand instead that was a couple more dollars per can/bag, and they also told you it was of better quality extract, what reaction would you have? Would you enjoy that there's better quality extract? Or would you be upset that extract suddenly costs more for a potentially negligible quality upgrade?

If they stopped carrying Briess and carried another brand instead that was a couple more dollars per can/bag, and they also told you it was of better quality extract, what reaction would you have? Would you enjoy that there's better quality extract? Or would you be upset that extract suddenly costs more for a potentially negligible quality upgrade?
I'd still use the DME. Liquid Extracts are always darker due to oxidation regardless of how fresh. I'd pay more for higher quality but I would't take their word for it. Brew a test batch - you can brew a 1.042 beer using a gallon of distilled water and a pound of extract - make a gallon and see if you like it better. I'd go with "blonde" hopping - about 25 IBUs. You can even do side-by-side, order a pound of Briess DME from Amazon and make the same beer with it. Remember, you are not beholden to the local homebrew shop - if they're trying to extract more money from you for a minimal quality improvement, order the stuff online.

Cool topic. I have only been in the obsession for just under two years, but only ever did one extract batch. Moved straight to all grain BIAB after that, then on to a cooler MLT, and now a 3 vessel system (still working on the process). I think I should do an extract batch with hop additions that align with my west coast style IPA. Have a little fun, see how it turns out.

Nothing wrong with extract brewing! I love extract for testing ingredients - it's consistent so as long as I measure correctly, I get the same wort, even made weeks apart.

Remember, you are not beholden to the local homebrew shop - if they're trying to extract more money from you for a minimal quality improvement, order the stuff online.
i think you're missing my question. I am the homebrew shop. And I don't particularly like the minerality of Briess extract as a brand, all of their extracts. Not a question of Dry vs Liquid. it's a question of Briess vs another company. I've already done my testing. What it comes down to is what the customer is paying for. Pay less for a slightly lesser quality, or pay higher for a slightly higher quality.

i think you're missing my question. I am the homebrew shop. And I don't particularly like the minerality of Briess extract as a brand, all of their extracts. Not a question of Dry vs Liquid. it's a question of Briess vs another company. I've already done my testing. What it comes down to is what the customer is paying for. Pay less for a slightly lesser quality, or pay higher for a slightly higher quality.
Ah! I was approaching this from the wrong side. Personally I'll pay more for higher quality but I'm at a stage in life where price isn't the object, I'm more into quality and time. Others may not be there and may need the savings but how much are we talking about? If I'm paying $15 for the extract and the price is 5% more, we're talking 75 cents. Everyone's situation is different though.

I think most people are in this hobby to make the best beer they can. If one product is definitely better than another, the better product is what will sell (assuming the prices are within reason). But the problem is everyone has their own opinion as to what is and what isn't the best. You may not like Briess, but guaranteed many do. A quick google tells me that Briess Golden Light DME is the number one selling malt extract on Amazon.

If this is an inventory management question, can you not stock Briess and another brand?

Agree with the above. As a HBS owner, you kind of need to know your market and it’s distribution. Do you have folks who brew on a budget? If 50 percent of your audience is a split between the two... you carry both. You’ll have to look at your local demographics for the best answer.

The price of DME would stay the same it looks like with both brands. The LME would go up from $10.50 for a 3.3 lbs can to ~$13.25.

I think part of it is most extract brewers are content on using any extract and won't bat an eye at the change in brand, but others will be concerned that the price went up only based on my word that this new extract is a better product. I'm always searching and trying to buy the best products for customers, hence asking the community how you personal feelings are. I definitely can't justify stocking both, I could switch to a new DME supplier if the price is the same, but keep the Briess LME in place, as Briess does offer more variety for LME.

The price of DME would stay the same it looks like with both brands. The LME would go up from $10.50 for a 3.3 lbs can to ~$13.25.

I think part of it is most extract brewers are content on using any extract and won't bat an eye at the change in brand, but others will be concerned that the price went up only based on my word that this new extract is a better product. I'm always searching and trying to buy the best products for customers, hence asking the community how you personal feelings are. I definitely can't justify stocking both, I could switch to a new DME supplier if the price is the same, but keep the Briess LME in place, as Briess does offer more variety for LME.
Most five-gallon brewers would be using two cans of LME so you're talking about a $6 price increase for a batch. Significant to some, even moreso if the brewer is making a bigger brew. Mind telling us what the second brand of DME is? I've only used Briess for both LME, when I did that, and DME, which I still use from time to time. I don't know your customers but our LHBS stocks Briess DME and LME (bulk, repackaged) as well as other brands in cans.

Have you had any complaints from customers regarding the minerality if Briess LME? That's a large part of what I'd base my decision on. Your own perception and that of the majority of your customers may be quite different. Also, are you using RO or distilled water for your extract brews as you should be.
If a small number of customers don't care for Briess LME, it may be worth educating them on the advantages of using DME and/or moving on to partial mash brewing.

Bob makes a good point too, before you decide anything you may want to survey your customer base. When I started the cost of the LME didn't matter and I didn't realize DME was the same basic thing, but I looked for the type of beer I wanted to make and bought that tin.

My first 4 brews were made with both LME and DME. All came out pretty good. One issue, not necessarily a bad one, is the longer you boil both, the darker your beer will be. When you don't have a lot of time and want to get a batch in the fermenter, extract is the way to go.

My first 4 brews were made with both LME and DME. All came out pretty good. One issue, not necessarily a bad one, is the longer you boil both, the darker your beer will be. When you don't have a lot of time and want to get a batch in the fermenter, extract is the way to go.
The longer you boil your all-grain wort, the darker it will get. I did a test once, I got one of the big blue barrels the LME comes in for free and it had some residue in it. I poured out the remainder and made a wort out of it. The resulting beer tasted like ink and although it was light DME, came out amber. That's oxidation at its finest. It'll happen in any LME at any temperature so unless the shop was going through a LOT of LME, I wouldn't consider using it. That said, Muntons is at least hermetically sealed and so may be a bit better in that regard. Minerality - try it with distilled or RO water and see how it comes out - the mineral analysis of the Briess LME isn't enough to result in high minerality with distilled or RO water but if combined with a fairly hard tap water might be.

the mineral analysis of the Briess LME isn't enough to result in high minerality with distilled or RO water but if combined with a fairly hard tap water might be.
Briess uses their municipal water in Chilton as far as I know. I don't know to what extent they treat their water further, but it contains at least 100ppm Sodium, which is my biggest concern. The calcium is probably also high, i'm guessing 75-100ppm.

I've.been using LME for my starter Wort lately been using this one can I bought from a large retail chain here in Aus for pretty cheap (I'm a cheap arse). It was a can of (lager) now prob six months later when I scoop out some extract to make a starter it turns out looking like a brown ale:p that oxidization for ya:rolleyes:.

Muntons is what I want to switch to.

A few years ago my LHBS did the opposite of what you are planning on doing. It's one of the reasons I switched to all grain. Briess is absolutely terrible compared to Muntons in my opinion. Definitely not worth it to save a couple bucks.

Back