NEIPA Hop Amounts

oipivo

Trial Member
Reaction score
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/880791/ch-ch-ch-changes-neipa

Alright, I'm finally brewing a NEIPA after many requests from my wife and trying some truly amazing examples at a local beer festival (Zagovar Brewery from Moscow makes some mind blowing beer).

The grain bill is locked in since I have the malts. I'm a bit unsure about my hopping rates though. Should I up the dry hop charges? Any advice about DDH vs. a single dry hop charge during peak fermentation?

I'm currently planning the first dry hop at 2-3~ days and then another 2 days before kegging.

Also, anyone have any experience with the Lallemand NEIPA yeast? I'm going to give it a shot, but not sure what to expect.

The better neipas that I have tasted all had double dry hop schedule so I would recommend that route.

Main things for me are a decent amount steeped for 10 - 30 minutes after flameout. First dry hop at, or before, high krausen. Second dry hop may work better as a keg hop if you can do that. For me I keep all dry hops at about 6-8 g per litre (you can go higher but not sure we can taste the difference).

I know the style is best fresh, but I think there's a couple of weeks after packaging where it's too fresh. Mine are at their peak weeks 2 - 4 after packaging

I think I will go the DDH route and I like the idea of keg hopping, although I haven't done that before. I usually go about 4-5g/liter so I think I will up it to 6-7g since hops are kind of the point of this beer. I assume you split the hop amounts between the two dry hop charges? Meaning 3g/liter at peak fermentation and then 3g/liter in keg.

Yep. I just split the dry hop in half. Though I wonder if I should put more in the second.

It turned out great! I had some problems with hops clogging up the keg, but after some work (taking the post off, clearing it, sanitizing it, putting it back on 5 or 6 times) it's finally pouring well.
156CoZf.jpg

C6xMIsq

If you will be dry hopping in a keg get a hop bag. That will prevent clogging. Also invest in a clear beer draught system as it will pull beer from the top vs the bottom.
Good color. Nice and hazy.

If you will be dry hopping in a keg get a hop bag. That will prevent clogging. Also invest in a clear beer draught system as it will pull beer from the top vs the bottom.
Good color. Nice and hazy.

I actually have a stainless steel keg hop thing. This was the first time I've used it though and quite a bit of hop sediment got through the mesh. I think it would be better with whole hops. Still pretty happy with the result!

Back