Grainfather mash-/spargewater

Brouwerij Nuenhem

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello,

can I manage the amount of sparge and mashwater in the programm of the Grainfather?

I find my batter too thick in some cases (I don't know if this is good english). What I mean is that I want to use more water during mashing and less when sparging.

Can I enter that somewhere in the program or app?

The “Mash Infusion...” calculator on this site has a “Mash Water/Grain Ratio:” area where you can customize your ratio. The default is 1.25 qts/lb. of grain, which in my experience, is a little too “thick”, as such I always change that to 1.50 qts/lb of grain, but you can change it to whatever thickness you like.

link:https://www.brewersfriend.com/mash/

Another user on the forum made this formula for calculating a good mash thickness for granfather:

Thickness = 2.7 + (3.5/grains weight in kg)
Then I use this in brewers friend mash water calculator:
2.7 + ( 3.5/ 4.2 ) = 3.53333 thickness

Feel free to modify this formula to suit your needs better :)

upload_2019-10-22_10-44-0.png

Link to the original post: https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/grainfather-configuration.2628/#post-16480

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-22_10-44-9.png
    upload_2019-10-22_10-44-9.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 150
I found how to enter the mash thickness but I made a mistake in entering other data. Can someone tell me the default settings?
Default equipment profile?
Or just default mash thickness?

upload_2019-10-24_17-0-19.png

This is what I use for the grainfather, keep in mind tho, I haven't refined this very far yet, not a lot of brews with this equipment profile.

I just realized that if I continue down the path I'm starting right now I'm headed for a very farmer style Grainfather and now I'm curious to see if I can make it happen.

I just realized that if I continue down the path I'm starting right now I'm headed for a very farmer style Grainfather and now I'm curious to see if I can make it happen.
You building a brewing system? :)

Unintentionally but I just realized that's the outcome, I'm adding a pump and 2 1500W electric elements to one of my 16G kettles that has historically been a 3 vessel gravity system run off propane.

Reactions: Mie

Back