Dry hopping

Toze

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have made an Smash of Marris otter and centennial. I want to dry hop later this week.
Fermentation is nearly over gurgling away at between 20 and 24 degrees.

My question relates to temperature of wort for the dry hopping process. Do I need to maintain the temperature for this?

Thanks
Toze

You can dry hop at those temperatures, I have never found temperature to be much of a factor in dry hopping, but I do tend to dry hop ales which for me have a rather narrow range of temperatures.

You can dry hop at those temperatures, I have never found temperature to be much of a factor in dry hopping, but I do tend to dry hop ales which for me have a rather narrow range of temperatures.
Thanks for tour reply. In my planning I hadn’t actually thought about dry hopping specifics. Had a last minute panic

I usually let my beers free rise to about 70 F at the tail end of fermentation. Once the Krausen recedes I dump the dry hops in and reduce the temperature by about 10 degrees per day down to 40. A few days later the hops have settled out and I keg. Usually about 6 or 7 days total with the dry hops.
As with many things, higher temperatures would probably speed up the process, but I see similar results as when I didn't cold crash.

I usually let my beers free rise to about 70 F at the tail end of fermentation. Once the Krausen recedes I dump the dry hops in and reduce the temperature by about 10 degrees per day down to 40. A few days later the hops have settled out and I keg. Usually about 6 or 7 days total with the dry hops.
As with many things, higher temperatures would probably speed up the process, but I see similar results as when I didn't cold crash.
My set up isn’t too technical at the moment. Fermentation fridge next on the list. But it’s interesting hearing different approaches.

My set up isn’t too technical at the moment. Fermentation fridge next on the list. But it’s interesting hearing different approaches.

I'm sure someone will post a procedure that'll work with your gear.

I dry hop at 64-70 (18-21C) for 2-3 days, any time beyond this is not necessary and some say any longer can add to vegetal notes. Cold crashing afterward will clear the hops from the beer.

Back