Portland, ME Brewery Recommendations

Beer_Pirate

Premium Member
Reaction score
Aside from Allagash, does anyone have any brewery recommendations for Portland, Maine?

We're tentatively planning to visit Maine this coming summer. Haven't been there in about 10 years. My wife's cousins have a nice little place in Damarascotta, near Bremen, a little over an hour up the coast from Portland. I'll be on the hunt for area breweries, too. ;)

This is my stomping ground and I think you are going to be really happy with both the quality and the atmosphere. As always it depends on what you are into but Maine Beer Co. offerings like Lunch are real standouts to me.

Also friends are now reminding me to mention Austin Street, Bunker, Mast Landing, Foundation and Battery Steele (for Flume)

Foundation, Austin St, Allagash, Battery Steele and Definitive are all in the same industrial park (the famous Industrial Way) in Portland just outside of the downtown area.

Bissell Brothers Fore River, and Bunker Brewing are in the south of the city by the water.

In the downtown, there's Rising Tide, Oxbow, Shipyard, Sebago, Liquid Riot, Lone Pine, Brewery Extrava and apologies if there are any I missed! :D

https://www.google.com/maps/search/portland+me+breweries/@43.6860732,-70.3201194,13z

This map should help a bit if you haven't already gone.

GCB

Foundation, Austin St, Allagash, Battery Steele and Definitive are all in the same industrial park (the famous Industrial Way) in Portland just outside of the downtown area.

Bissell Brothers Fore River, and Bunker Brewing are in the south of the city by the water.

In the downtown, there's Rising Tide, Oxbow, Shipyard, Sebago, Liquid Riot, Lone Pine, Brewery Extrava and apologies if there are any I missed! :D

https://www.google.com/maps/search/portland+me+breweries/@43.6860732,-70.3201194,13z

This map should help a bit if you haven't already gone.

GCB
This. do industrial park one day, downtown but make sure you don't miss Bissell bros.

Battery Steele is fantastic. I feel Bissel Bros is a touch on the overrated end of things. I highly suggest making the 25 minute drive south to see Barrelled Souls in Saco. They do great stuff with stouts and barlewines for the colder temps and gose and fruity type beers for warmer climes.

I'm probably one of the few New England-based homebrewers that doesn't truly care for IPAs... specifically, Hazy, Juicy, NE or otherwise! By plain virtue of being in New England, it's completely turned me off of them. I prefer farmhouse, Belgians and English styles. Portland has plenty of options across the styles, though, be ready to enjoy some really well-made beers!

Also, Portland ME has some amazing restaurants. Check out:

https://www.portlandfoodmap.com/

This site lists by food type, popularity, rating, etc. I have yet to find a bad place in Portland tbh, but I personally recommend Duck Fat, Pai Men Miyake, Vena's Fizz house and Novare Res is a great beer bar.

GCB

We visited the Bar Harbor area this past September. While site seeing we ran across Atlantic Brewing on the north end of Mount Desert Island. They have an awesome blueberry ale. All other brews where very good also. I am from WI and they are not in this market wish they were because all the blueberry we brought back is almost gone.

Back