Where is the best place to purchase your ingredients in bulk?

Brewer #271297

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am a new member to this site. I did a quick search and didn't see my question listed.

In the past, I have always gone to my local homebrew shop and purchase all my ingredients.

However, I would like to shave the cost down and start buying my ingredients in Bulk. Mostly the big-ticket Items Like Malt and Grain.

Do you guys have a suggestion on where you go? Is there a favorite site or place you go?

-Chris

I purchase all my grains and most everything else from my LHBS. He stays competitive as possible and even if he were a bit over what I could get it from online, I’d rather support the local businesses, but that’s just me. Can’t replace a good relationship with your LHBS.

but hey... to each his own, I’m sure someone will be by soon enough to offer their recommendations.

You know you can order directly through this site don’t ya? I know it’s been being worked on lately with all the other “improvements”, so I’ll let @Yooper chime in on how that works.

cheers and welcome to the rabbit hole!

Thanks for the feedback. No i didnt know i could order directly here. I did find a place to make a list but didnt see a way to order.

I purchase all my grains and most everything else from my LHBS. He stays competitive as possible and even if he were a bit over what I could get it from online, I’d rather support the local businesses, but that’s just me. Can’t replace a good relationship with your LHBS.

but hey... to each his own, I’m sure someone will be by soon enough to offer their recommendations.

You know you can order directly through this site don’t ya? I know it’s been being worked on lately with all the other “improvements”, so I’ll let @Yooper chime in on how that works.

cheers and welcome to the rabbit hole!

Thanks for your feedback. No i dint know you could or
Hi Guys,
I am a new member to this site. I did a quick search and didn't see my question listed.

In the past, I have always gone to my local homebrew shop and purchase all my ingredients.

However, I would like to shave the cost down and start buying my ingredients in Bulk. Mostly the big-ticket Items Like Malt and Grain.

Do you guys have a suggestion on where you go? Is there a favorite site or place you go?

-Chris

The "order now" button is being released ASAP. the supplier upgraded their software and it required us to work with them integrating the feature once more. It should be today or tomorrow, but I'll keep you posted as to when it's fixed.

The "order now" button is being released ASAP. the supplier upgraded their software and it required us to work with them integrating the feature once more. It should be today or tomorrow, but I'll keep you posted as to when it's fixed.

Awesome thanks !! :)

For grain, I have started ordering most of mine from a (somewhat) local Malt House. Support local if I can. The product has been fantastic and the customer service even better.
This method might not be a huge $ savings (it would be if I drove out and picked up but I have been paying UPS for convenience) but the quality is great and they let me order in any quantity I want. That's worth something to me.

Does your lhbs sell at better prices by the sack? With good containers and good temp control malted grain will keep a long time (uncrushed). Most all places are so much a # or so much a sack. Unless you can get it as stated by @Megary right from the source. Its amazing the maltsters popping up all over. Google around a bit maybe.

I don't know where you are located so I can't give you specific information about where to shop, but what I can say is that just as important as where to shop is how to store. Buying hops by the pound and base malt by the sack can save you a decent amount of money, but only if you can use them up before they go bad. Luckily, it is not too hard to store grain and hops, 5 gallon buckets with Gamma lids are a great cost effective grain storage solution and hops stored in the freezer in either mason jars or vacuum seal bags will last 1 year+. Much better to plan ahead and have a storage solution ready when you receive a bulk purchase rather than scrambling to deal with it after the fact.

I buy grain locally and sometimes yeast but usually get hops online as the local shop uses repackaged hops of god knows what age.

I am in the "support your LHBS" camp. Being in sales I am up against online business every day. A good LHBS brings value that is worth a little bit extra. Picture this, you are still relatively new to brewing and the yeast you want is out of stock at your cheapingerdients.com supplier... your bricks and morter storekeeper, he brews too, he will recommend a suitable alternative. Siri, not so much

Well said Craig support the local guy and I'm sure what goes around comes back around.

If you can't get sacks of base malt locally you're likely looking at actual shipping cost, which usually negates any bulk savings. MoreBeer offers pricing on 10 lb. bags of base malts that, with their free shipping on orders over $59, makes it cheaper than buying and shipping a sack. Lately they've had Viking Pale Malt for under 90 cents/lb. in 10 pound bags.
I've been getting all of my grains from them lately and find their by the pound prices for specialty malts and adjuncts to be very competitive.

I buy most of my hops by the pound from Yakima Valley Hops. Their products are great and they will ship up to 4 lbs. of pellets in a Fedex padded mailer for $8 which makes them more than competitive. If I only need a few ounces of hops or maybe a pound, I often find that I can get them from MoreBeer for about the same price after factoring in shipping.

I'm partial to Mangrove Jack's for most of my yeast needs, and usually get that from Yakima Valley Hops. Usually I'll order several packets, along with 2 or 3 lbs. of hops to take advantage of the Fedex $8 padded mailer. Since I use dry yeasts, and don't worry much about age, I'll sometimes add a few packets to an order from WIlliam's Brewing, who I use for some equipment and exhaustible supplies.

If you're looking for savings, don't leave shipping costs out of the equation. Many suppliers offer free or reduced shipping at a certain dollar level. Plan your purchases to take advantage of this, as well as discounts offered on orders of a certain dollar level.'

One last thought: I try to stick with suppliers that have a reputation for selling high quality products. Even though I'm very cost conscious, I don't skimp on quality.

Last edited:

Back