Early Spring Ale

Reaction score
I am a new brewer, have done 5 batches now most from other recipes, the last brew I did was a mix of my own. I would like some feedback from more experienced brewer,s :roll:

Recipe-
3.3lb LME- light
2.85lb DME-light
1lb DME-extra light
1lb Honey
1lb Canadian-Honey malt
.25oz Azacca pellet 45min
.5oz East Kent Goldings 15min
.25oz fugues end of boil
60 min boil 4 gal/ added 1 gal cold water to bring to 5 gal
London ESB Ale 1968 WYeast pack with 18 hour starter
OG 1.073 FG 1.014
11days in primary fermenter
7 days secondary fermenter
Bottle condition 10 days

Was shooting for a higher ABV% stabbing in the dark with flavor

Should be a good light ale.... How bitter - not familiar with your bittering hop.

Nosybear said:
Should be a good light ale.... How bitter - not familiar with your bittering hop.

fresh citrus, orange, grapefruit, lemon, piney, spicy, pineapple, full, tropical fruit; fresh

Alpha- 14.86
Beta- 5.39

Still seems a bit sweet for my taste, might be good though.

that hop should be fine for a high gravity, you might want to increase the amount of it though. unless you want the beer to be on the sweet side.

magnum is the ultimate bittering hop but too much can send big bite to the finish

Basically for bittering, it doesn't matter which hop you use. You'll want to use a high alpha acid variety - Magnum is a great neutral bittering hop. But basically, anything you add before 30 minutes before flameout contributes only bitterness, all the flavors are boiled off. General rule: Use high AA hops prior to 30 mins, low AA flavor hops afterward. I'll break that rule if extremely low amounts of high AA hops are required to achieve my desired bitterness to reduce measurement error. With the equipment I have, measuring a couple grams of a hop means my measurement error can be anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 grams (or .05 oz, depending on which units I choose) or 25% error. In this case, a lower AA hop will mean more hop mass so my measurement error is lower as a percentage of the quantity being measured. The trade-off, a risk of vegetal hop flavors, is worth it because, unless I'm attempting to bitter an IPA with Hallertau, the variation in bitterness would be much greater.

Thank you that is good info, going for my first all grain tomorrow, a recipe I got from here and that will be helpful, once again thanks, all help is very appreciated

Well after a 14 day primary fermentation, a seven day secondary fermentation, two weeks conditioning in the bottle at 69deg, and five days in cold storage, the result is the beer tastes not bad while chill haze is bad, not sure why I ended up with such a cloudy beer. Not really sweet but does have a slight aftertaste.

Thank for the links, I read them both and it was very enlightening. I tried a new practice letting my wort set overnight at fermintation temp and then pitching the next day which I understand after reading the articles would be ok providing that I cold break first which I did not do. I will not make that mistake again.

Back