Took a gravity reading this morning of my NS. Looks like my fg came up a bit high as well at 1.018. Not horrible, but projected was 1.011 so I'll check it again and see if I get any more out of it, but I'm thinking it's done.

Took a gravity reading this morning of my NS. Looks like my fg came up a bit high as well at 1.018. Not horrible, but projected was 1.011 so I'll check it again and see if I get any more out of it, but I'm thinking it's done.
If it stays that high, you'll love the sweetness.

I'd take a bit of sweetness and body over dry in a porter or stout any day. Just me tho.
Yep I think the mash temp and crystal malts help to create a few unfermentables. Yep don't worry about that gravity the flavours will be tasty.

Roasty malty ale! Oktoberfest requires lagering, maybe not available to all. A local brewer and friend designed a recipe that fits this bill perfectly: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/774631/nautical-star

I offer this as a starting point only, not suggesting it should be the beer. I think anyone could get behind a recipe like this: Don't like roast, take some out. Want more hops? Put them in. Different yeast? I could see this with a clean Belgian yeast fermentation....

(Nautical reference because it's Dry Dock Brewing. Any locals: It's Martin's American Brown recipe)
Nosy, why Chocolate and Carafa 1? They are basically the same. I could understand Chocolate and Carafa Special 1, which is dehusked.

I can’t get Weyermnnn malts locally so I just scratched the Carafa and doubled up (minus some) on the Chocolate. The wort tasted a little bitter. We’ll see how it comes out.

Last edited:
Nosy, why Chocolate and Carafa 1? They are basically the same. I could understand Chocolate and Carafa Special 1, which is dehusked.

I can’t get Weyermnnn malts locally so I just scratched the Carafa and doubled up (minus some) on the Chocolate. The wort tasted a little bitter. We’ll see how it comes out.
Should work either way.

Well I forgot the choc malt but didn't double the Carafa happy fermentations there Groupie!

Thanks! Back in the brew saddle and a lot of catching up to do. A couple pics of NS in the making. Can’t wait to taste it.:)
upload_2019-10-18_7-26-3.jpeg

upload_2019-10-18_7-26-44.jpeg

Back