St. Louis beers not to buy

BOB357

Trial Member
Reaction score
Our youngest daughter met us in Bend, OR for our Beercation last week. She brought 3 IPAs from St. Louis with her. Now, she is a craft beer lover, but hasn't had time to do much sampling since she moved to St.Louis, so just picked them up at the super market.
Right now I'm drinking the only one that I consider to be of reasonable quality: Snapper by Logboat Brewing. If it weren't for the fact that it weighs in at 7.2% ABV, I'd call it a decent Pale Ale. No definable hop flavor or aroma, but drinkable nonetheless.
The worst by far has to be STL IPA by Urban Chestnut. It actually tastes like all the diacetyl in Missouri was collected and dumped into a single tall boy. Seriously, if you look in Webster's Dictionary under diacetyl, a picture of this beer should appear under the definition.
A very close second is Elusive IPA by Public House. While no traditional off flavor descriptor really fits my overall impression of it, the beer is an off flavor in and of itself. If you've ever swallowed your own puke and then taken a sip of beer, you've experienced this beer.
Hopefully, Our daughter, Callie, will have time to seek out some of the better offerings before we visit her next year. It would be a shame if Budweiser was the best St. Louis has to offer.

Our youngest daughter met us in Bend, OR for our Beercation last week. She brought 3 IPAs from St. Louis with her. Now, she is a craft beer lover, but hasn't had time to do much sampling since she moved to St.Louis, so just picked them up at the super market.
Right now I'm drinking the only one that I consider to be of reasonable quality: Snapper by Logboat Brewing. If it weren't for the fact that it weighs in at 7.2% ABV, I'd call it a decent Pale Ale. No definable hop flavor or aroma, but drinkable nonetheless.
The worst by far has to be STL IPA by Urban Chestnut. It actually tastes like all the diacetyl in Missouri was collected and dumped into a single tall boy. Seriously, if you look in Webster's Dictionary under diacetyl, a picture of this beer should appear under the definition.
A very close second is Elusive IPA by Public House. While no traditional off flavor descriptor really fits my overall impression of it, the beer is an off flavor in and of itself. If you've ever swallowed your own puke and then taken a sip of beer, you've experienced this beer.
Hopefully, Our daughter, Callie, will have time to seek out some of the better offerings before we visit her next year. It would be a shame if Budweiser was the best St. Louis has to offer.

Maybe this is why St Louis is a whiskey hot bed haha!

Tell her she has to go to Narrow Gauge Brewing and get OJ Run. One of the best IPA's I've ever had. Schlafly is another good brewery down there. But yeah Urban Chestnut IMO sucks. I've spent a few months total in St. Louis over the past 3 years and found that they have a really good beer scene.

I'm a bit surprised. I lived in St. Louis several years and I always thought that Urban Chestnut was the best in town. Last month I picked up the Zwickel (Bavarian lager) and Schnicklefritz (wheat) while visiting. Their Apotheosis is a model saison. It's been a while since I've had their IPA, but I remember it being pretty decent.

Can't speak to the rest of their offerings, but the STL IPA I had was definitely terrible.

Logboat was pivotal in changing the laws around small breweries in MO. Effectively made it possible for them to live and thrive. I enjoyed Snapper the handful of times I had it before I left for CO. But for what they did for small breweries in that state I think I'd just two-thumb-up anything they produced. :D

I might feel the same way about their achievements if we find some good beer when we visit.

Back