Fridge to pitch temp?

Jhogan0101

Trial Member
Reaction score
So im wondering how much temperature affects the health with a wyeast pack for example. The pack is stored in a fridge at 40F, then taken put and pitched in lets say 70F 3-5 hours later. Does this increase in temp this quickly affect the amount of useable yeast cells?

So im wondering how much temperature affects the health with a wyeast pack for example. The pack is stored in a fridge at 40F, then taken put and pitched in lets say 70F 3-5 hours later. Does this increase in temp this quickly affect the amount of useable yeast cells?
I've heard it could shock the yeast but in practice, it's never affected my beer adversely.

Most of the yeast manufacturers say warm to room temp prior to pitching. Imperial don't, they worry that your brew day could have a hiccup and you'll leave the yeast out too long.

It's probably one of the least of your worries. Yeast will grow pretty aggressively If your wort is properly prepared. Which is mainly if it's properly oxygenated or you've added the nutrients the yeast need. The differences between the two approaches are probably wiped out in pretty short time once they get reproducing.

You'll find that next to sanitation, temperature control is a matter that every brewer should pay attention to and that is all about the viability of the yeast. They are robust little organisms but they don't like to be shocked. I don't think that 3 to 5 hours is too fast at all especially since you are changing the temperature of such a small volume. Think about it..your typical vial of liquid yeast is about 2 ice cubes worth of water which would be a luke warm puddle in less than 3 hours!

Was there a specific concern that your question was in reference to or just a question about what's the common practice?

Direct pitch.
Ive been doing the smack packs and let them sit on avg 5 hours and then pitch.

Direct pitch.
Ive been doing the smack packs and let them sit on avg 5 hours and then pitch.

Hmmm...check your best by date on the package.....and older packet = lower count = stalled fermentation? Look around their web site, they usually publish the amount of cells that diminish over time. Sound like it's time for a packet of dry yeast IMHO. Whaddaya think group??

I'm still pretty new ( under two years of brewing), but I wonder about pitch rate. Should you be doing a starter? I don't know the answer, just posing the question. How many billion cells are needed, and how many are pitched?

My other thought is that allowing your yeast pack to warm up from fridge to ambient temperature on its own, IMHO, could not shock it.

Have the packs been blowing up as they sit at room temp for the 5 hours?

But like Brewer213358 suggests, batch size would be my only other concern.

Other than one brew, I’ve always used Wyeast smack packs. I’ve had them come flat, to somewhat bloated when delivered. As mentioned above, use the yeast Pitch calculator on this site. You enter the manufacture date and some other brew information, and it’ll tell you if you have too much, or not enough “viable” yeast in the smack pack. Ramp up accordingly and you’ll be fine.

Other than one brew, I’ve always used Wyeast smack packs. I’ve had them come flat, to somewhat bloated when delivered. As mentioned above, use the yeast Pitch calculator on this site. You enter the manufacture date and some other brew information, and it’ll tell you if you have too much, or not enough “viable” yeast in the smack pack. Ramp up accordingly and you’ll be fine.
Im going to switch to imperial for a few batches and see if my luck changes

Im going to switch to imperial for a few batches and see if my luck changes

So looking at your original post:

”So im wondering how much temperature affects the health with a wyeast pack for example. The pack is stored in a fridge at 40F, then taken put and pitched in lets say 70F 3-5 hours later. Does this increase in temp this quickly affect the amount of useable yeast cells?”

What would the brand have to do with your question? Is Imperial known for their temperature tolerance swings you’ve described?

edit: I see where it was mentioned above that Imperial doesn’t require to warm to room temp. But honestly, I think you’ve ventured a bit too far down the proverbial rabbit hole on this. No offense, but as mentioned by others and myself, the swings in temp haven’t effected anything.

I’ve reached out to Wyeast in the past with success, maybe get in touch with them with your question. No sense jumping ship (yeast mfgr) on a hunch.

I'd be making a starter on any beer just the way I brew maybe worth a try if your having fermentation issues. Also as mentioned letting the ferm temp rise a few degrees before end of fermentation can help them attenuate better for you.

I see letting the yeast warm to room ish temp just primes them ready for fermentation.

I'd be making a starter on any beer just the way I brew maybe worth a try if your having fermentation issues. Also as mentioned letting the ferm temp rise a few degrees before end of fermentation can help them attenuate better for you.

I see letting the yeast warm to room ish temp just primes them ready for fermentation.
The only 2 out of 6 batches ive made so far didnt get stuck and they were both imperial.

The only 2 out of 6 batches ive made so far didnt get stuck and they were both imperial.
The biggest difference with them is the amount of cells they put in the pack. About twice as much.

Back