Conversion efficiency, before or after sparge water?

Mie

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I got a quick question, about conversion efficiency.

I brew with a grainfather, and for a 10L batch you often have something like 7,8 L of mash water and then 8.7 L of sparge water.

When calculating conversion efficiency, should the gravity be measured before or after the sparge water has been added?

If you're using the Brew Log, Batch Efficiciency version of conversion efficiency, it seems to want pre-sparge volume. I tend to ignore it and focus on pre-boil and post boil numbers. You don't need to enter every one of those figures, anyway.
If you're using kettle as efficiency target in the recipe calculator then post-boil gravity and volume in the brew log should match up with your figures in the calculator and give you the same efficiency numbers and OG.
Theoretically, if you're using fermenter as target in the recipe calculator the Brew Day Complete entry should match up with the calculator...there's been so much malfunction and confusion with that part of the calculator interface lately that I don't know whether it works as it used to or not.

After. The sugars you're rinsing out by sparging are part of the overall conversion.
Always be sure to stir well first or you're likely to get an inaccurate reading due to stratification.

Last edited:
If you're using the Brew Log, Batch Efficiciency version of conversion efficiency, it seems to want pre-sparge volume

Ahh that would make sense! Because I was very confused as to how I could have only 40% efficiency. Thanks!

After. The sugars you're rinsing out by sparging are part of the overall conversion.
Always be sure to stir well first or you're likely to get an inaccurate reading due to stratification.

I suppose this means the total mash volume that goes into the efficiency calculation will in my case be (7,8+8,7)-Grain Absorb if I don't let brewers friend do it for me?

Ahh that would make sense! Because I was very confused as to how I could have only 40% efficiency. Thanks!

I suppose this means the total mash volume that goes into the efficiency calculation will in my case be (7,8+8,7)-Grain Absorb if I don't let brewers friend do it for me?

The total amount you run into the boil kettle. That would give you a realistic number. I no sparge, so it's all the same to me :)

Reactions: Mie
Theoretically, if you're using fermenter as target in the recipe calculator the Brew Day Complete entry should match up with the calculator...there's been so much malfunction and confusion with that part of the calculator interface lately that I don't know whether it works as it used to or not.

I just switched my recipe to Kettle instead and suddenly the numbers look a lot closer to reality! Big thanks for making me aware that it complicates things.

The total amount you run into the boil kettle. That would give you a realistic number. I no sparge, so it's all the same to me :)

Super, thanks! :)

Hi everyone!
I got a quick question, about conversion efficiency.

I brew with a grainfather, and for a 10L batch you often have something like 7,8 L of mash water and then 8.7 L of sparge water.

When calculating conversion efficiency, should the gravity be measured before or after the sparge water has been added?
After, I'm pretty sure. There's no log entry for first runnings gravity (might be worth adding, as long as it's optional).

Big thanks for making me aware that it complicates things.
I had gotten to the point that I'd figured out the software to pretty high degree of precision in terms of predicting exactly what my system would do with any recipe. Sad to say that the coders and owners have added so many "features" with attendant bugs and adverse interactions that now i can't hope to know what's going on with it. Fortunately, my system and procedure are dialled in and I think I could run a good beer pretty much by dead reckoning and without the benefit of the calculator.

There are a lot of readings you "can" take, I only take pre-post, and fermenter readings personally.

Welcome by the way!
upload_2019-10-18_11-41-17.png

Back