Suggested fixes and features

Ah man... I just looked at my inventory on my phone. I used to be able to see so much more at a glance. Was making it not be in rows like before intentional?

This same layout issue is present when looking at the brew log in a brew session. What used to be in one line now takes 6+. Also, in the brew session, if you click the recipe tab, the layout has issues... hops, mash guidelines, yeast all go outside the box that's supposed to contain the page and you have to side scroll to see the whole entry.

EDIT: All on iphone.

Some feedback on the brew session: I'm making labels for my beer so I wanted the IBUs and ABV. The Brew Session gives me this for the estimated ABV:

upload_2019-10-7_18-31-25.png

Now the data I'm interested in:
upload_2019-10-7_18-32-4.png

I get the estimate in massive, green type, the actual in tiny, gray type. Not so good nor easy to find for these aging eyes. One more pet peeve:

upload_2019-10-7_18-33-59.png

I don't need such a large space for my avatar - look how heavily pixelated it is! All that real estate is wasted.

upload_2019-10-7_18-31-25.png
upload_2019-10-7_18-32-4.png
upload_2019-10-7_18-33-59.png
Now that was interesting: I tried to type and the line I'd typed went away. Oh well. I don't need that much real estate taken up by an avatar. in fact I hardly need one at all.

Sorry for doubling up on the screenshots - when I inserted, a new control, insert all as full images, repeated everything I'd already inserted. Thought you'd want to know about that little surprise, too....

This same layout issue is present when looking at the brew log in a brew session. What used to be in one line now takes 6+. Also, in the brew session, if you click the recipe tab, the layout has issues... hops, mash guidelines, yeast all go outside the box that's supposed to contain the page and you have to side scroll to see the whole entry.

You mean like this.
Screenshot_20191008-203043_Samsung Internet.jpg

And this
Screenshot_20191008-203059_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yep was way better before more condenced so when revisiting notes makes it easier to get an overall ideah of how things went.

Hey, when I'm adjusting my profile, do I have to hit every one of those little "Save" buttons or will hitting one of them save all the changes....

upload_2019-10-8_14-59-26.png

I'm certain I know the answer but wanted to ask the question anyway.... How about instead of multiple "save" buttons you do one, sticky to the top of the window.... Dang, there's one up there! This is kind of confusing....

https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/why-do-post-boil-gravity-and-og-values-not-match.12154/

There's a bug in the formula for Post boil gravity. Currently it is applying the brewhouse formula with the post boil volume, which is given gravities that are unrealistic where postboil gravity is either less or more than OG for unknown reason. It should be the same as og 99% of recipes unless a fermentable is added between post boil and transfer to kettle, or a water infusion is performed at that time.

Instead, calculate the postboil gravity with either mash (kettle) efficiency, or work backwards from batch size and OG, based on volume and gravity points.

The "best" way would be to convert the OG and volumes to extract (sugar) weight and carry that through to postboil however the difference is relatively small (in the ballpark of 0.05% percent difference). Due to time management, I'd just use gravity point method for now and come back to the extract method later of needed. Formulas for this are available on brauakaiser, or I have copies saved in my efficiency formulas spreadsheet if desired.

Just discovered another "gotcha". When scaling a recipe, the new priming sugar area in the recipe builder does not scale. I scaled a 6 gallon recipe down to 4 gallons, no change in the amount of priming sugar. I caught it but bottle bombs, anyone?

Also, an error message that's almost helpful:
upload_2019-10-9_8-18-14.png

Problem is the error message does not help me find the problem. I went back through the "Other Ingredients" section and all the units were in order. You can see that in the post below. Besides, if I want to measure my acid in grams, why should the site prevent that? At this point I have a recipe I can't save and can't fix based on the information given, even though it saved perfectly last time I edited it.

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-9_8-17-38.png
    upload_2019-10-9_8-17-38.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Here's another little gotcha:
upload_2019-10-9_8-20-34.png

I know my recipe was not like this before: Why would I be adding mash water agents at 1 minute remaining? The previous versions of the recipe builder did not allow a time entry when "Mash" or "Sparge" were the step being used, why is that now a thing?

Also, for the "Other Ingredients" error I mentioned above, this is the section the error message tells me contains an error. Do you see any incorrect units? Neither do I but that's what the error tells me. Maybe I have to use a whole Whirlfloc tab?

Also, for the "Other Ingredients" error I mentioned above, this is the section the error message tells me contains an error. Do you see any incorrect units? Neither do I but that's what the error tells me. Maybe I have to use a whole Whirlfloc tab?

I added your comments into our support fix tickets, and I'm not sure if it's the 1/2 whirlfloc or not. Can you add a 1 to it, and see if you still get that error?

This has been improved- how is it for you now?

I can't reproduce the error now. I put one in, the recipe saved. I reverted it back to 0.5, the recipe saved. Whatever it was causing the error, whirlfloc wasn't it.

Not to beat a dead horse, but... @Yooper @Josh Sweeney

It's 8 days since the last update went live. I know for a fact there have been at least 3-4 small patches but there has not been any updates to the changelog, posting in the beta testing section to test before making changes to public, or communication on those changes in this subforum apart from yooper replying to a specific comment if the latest public changes were acceptable and resolved the issue.

We need to do better.

All updates should go through beta testers before pushing updates live, if it's directed towards a specific user that does not have access to beta to review the changes then they should probably be granted beta access to review to protect the public version from undocumented and untested changes.

All changes need to be documented and communicated.

Along the same topic, I think a public "approved" feature list where the admins and mods are only able to add or remove things, but any registered member is able to +1 or -1 to any feature request, would be nice. It'll improve transparency, and hopefully reduce some of the unexpected changes.

Last edited:
Thanks- I used that screenshot as an example to help the developer get it right. I'll let you know when we've got it fixed.

Honestly, I’ve moved on at this point. Your developer should get a mobile phone and try to use the site. From the other screenshots above, this appears to also be an android issue. I’m done paying to be one of the site’s testers.

View attachment 7509
Problem is the error message does not help me find the problem. I went back through the "Other Ingredients" section and all the units were in order. You can see that in the post below. Besides, if I want to measure my acid in grams, why should the site prevent that? At this point I have a recipe I can't save and can't fix based on the information given, even though it saved perfectly last time I edited it.

I get this one from time to time. It's generally when there's something with an 'each' unit of measure. But it only seems to happen after a few iterations or some sort of wait time, so I'm not sure on the steps to reproduce. If I refresh the page (and lose my changes) it will save happily, but if I leave it be, make a change and then save again it gives the other ingredient problem.

View attachment 7509

I ran into this the other day, eventually refreshed the page losing the changes I made and it started working again. No idea what was actually wrong.

Low priority for me, but I'd like to see the layout of custom fermentables revisited, shrank some, and cleaned up. The widths of Origin, category, and type could all be smaller as the width is roughly twice as large as the longest selection, then it should fit on 1 or 2 rows instead of three.

Additionally some logic should be applied to make each of the types make sense. For example, there's options in type for fruit, sugar, and extract which are also categories. Additionally, just a personal opinion, but there's no difference between sugar and dry extract (mathematically, or in reality). Similarly, what's the difference between categories grain and adjunct. If we're using the common maltster definition of adjunct is any unmalted grain ie anything flaked or raw, then shouldn't that be a subtype of the grain category?

Also it looks like the average ppg at the bottom fo the fermentables section has disappeared at some point where it used to be between Total, and DP.

For sake of reference, in the BeerJSON project we're using the following categories for fermentables.

Code:
"type": {
          "type": "string",
          "enum": [
            "dry extract",
            "extract",
            "grain",
            "sugar",
            "fruit",
            "juice",
            "honey",
            "other"
          ]
        },

With the below subcategories for types of grains.

Code:
 "grain_group": {
          "type": "string",
          "enum": [
            "base",
            "caramel",
            "flaked",
            "roasted",
            "specialty",
            "smoked",
            "adjunct"
          ]
        },

Lastly, there should be an "other" option for "origin".

I ran into this the other day, eventually refreshed the page losing the changes I made and it started working again. No idea what was actually wrong.

I also have run into this on occasion, and I've tried to reproduce the error. The last few times, I was just changing grain bill amounts and grain types. I clicked save, and it gave the "Invalid Other Ingredients.." message. Seems like a red herring that it's ACTUALLY the Other ingredients, but either way I could reproduce it with changing other things and saving the entire recipe.

GCB

Back