White stuff on top of sour beer - is that okay?

PackerDan

Premium Member
Reaction score
I decided to try my first sour beer. I brewed it this past May and am fermenting it in a glass carboy. So now about 5 months in I can see a white film on top. Is that normal or is it spoiled? I used Wyeast Roeselare Ale Blend yeast.

Thanks thunderwagn. I tried to take a pic but the carboy has a lot of residue inside and I can't get a clear picture. It has a powder kind of look to it like the link you posted but no bubbles like the pic has. At least not yet. Maybe it will later. I'll keep an eye on it but that's for making me feel a little better :)

Is that normal or is it spoiled?
Sour beers are by definition "spoiled" :D What we normally think of as spoiled is just another colony of organisms invading our food sources. Most of the organisms that like our food are organisms that we've evolved to get along with just fine. And, in the process of doing the spoiling, they create conditions that keep other more harmful organisms from colonizing and making us sick. Lactobacillus, pediococcus, acetobacters, etc give us cheese and yogurt, sauerkraut, vinegar. soy sauce, salami... the list goes on and on. Not even mentioning the wonderful gifts that Saccharomyces and company provide for us.
Sometimes you'll get an organism that makes some nasty flavors in a sour beer but given enough time, it almost always mellows out and becomes complex and very drinkable.

It's probably a pellicle. Current thinking is that it's the Brett creating a layer to cut down on the amount of oxygen it's exposed to.

It doesn't mean the beer is going to be good or bad.

Back