Milk Stout

I might bump up the Maris Otter at the expense of some of the Oats and Crystal, but I like it. The IBU's do seem high, but hey...you never know until you try it.

Hope it turns out great.

Too bitter. Milk stouts are supposed to be sweet hence lower IBUs according to style. Just my opinion.

It does seem like it will be too bitter. Maybe the lactose balances it? I'd drop it to 50 ibu instead of 70 and see what it's like then.

Bitterness is relevant with sweetness. I never brewed with lactose because I tasted it first (very sweet stuff). 8% will need something to counter the sweetness I would guess.

Your recipe looks OK, apart for the Maris Otter, IBUs and lactose...

I lean towards English Mild Ale malt for stouts or I would use more pale Munich malt in this case. For this style I have two hop additions, one at the boil start and then at 30 minutes, between 15 and 25 IBUs. "Lactose", I don't use it. Many breweries in England didn't use it also. I tend to mash high at 69-70c (155f) and use a low attenuation yeast.

This link is to a typical recipe for sweet stout in the 1950s...
http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2018/06/lets-brew-1959-watneys-dairy-maid-sweet.html

I tend to replace the invert with dark crystal and a bit of Carafa III.

Other than the ibu's looking a little high, I think it looks pretty solid. With the high gravity and lactose, the ibu's may help balance it out? You totally see those high ibu's on RIS. May be just fine.

I lean towards English Mild Ale malt for stouts or I would use more pale Munich malt in this case. For this style I have two hop additions, one at the boil start and then at 30 minutes, between 15 and 25 IBUs. "Lactose", I don't use it. Many breweries in England didn't use it also. I tend to mash high at 69-70c (155f) and use a low attenuation yeast.

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2018/06/lets-brew-1959-watneys-dairy-maid-sweet.html

That recipe looks odd to me but maybe that's just by today's standards? Seems like a lot of sugar and the ginger sounds really odd. Just me tho.

Last edited:

Other than the ibu's looking a little high, I think it looks pretty solid. With the high gravity and lactose, the ibu's may help balance it out? You totally see those high ibu's on IRS. May be just fine.

That recipe looks odd to me but maybe that's just by today's standards? Seems like a lot of sugar and the ginger sounds really odd. Just me tho.

That's what I was thinking. That looks nothing like what I consider to be a milk stout but I guess it has just changed a lot over time?

I saw that pinch of ginger too maybe to add a bit of bite. Quite a bit of sugar you'd think it'd dry it out a fair bit too!

I thought that recipe would be fun to post... Like most beer brewed by British breweries in the 20th century, invert sugar of various grades was a staple and still is for some breweries. In Watneys case 14% ullage would have kept the beer sweeter. Maybe adding some old beer to the boil would be an idea... :rolleyes:

What’s going on? Well, my guess is that all the other shit they mixed in at racking time is bringing down the OG. 667 barrels were brewed and a further 106 barrels of various types of ullage blended in. That’s around 14% of the total.

I thought that recipe would be fun to post... Like most beer brewed by British breweries in the 20th century, invert sugar of various grades was a staple and still is for some breweries. In Watneys case 14% ullage would have kept the beer sweeter. Maybe adding some old beer to the boil would be an idea... :rolleyes:
It does sound pretty interesting.

Thanks for all of the input, I think I will brew it as it stands. If the bitterness gets in the way I can scale it back next time around. I was concerned about the bitterness, but TW's RIS reference sold me on giving it a go. This will be a mid winter brew.

Thanks for all of the input, I think I will brew it as it stands. If the bitterness gets in the way I can scale it back next time around. I was concerned about the bitterness, but TW's RIS reference sold me on giving it a go. This will be a mid winter brew.

Just for kicks and giggles I did a party gyle with the spent grains from the NARWHAL clone from Chico this wknd. Added lots of sugar and half# lactose to make a 10gal batch. Lower abv but the lactose adds lots of mouthfeel so now see the reasoning behind the recipe you are planing. Hope i hopped it enough to counter the sweetness. Think it was about 50ibu with og of 1.044.

Just for kicks and giggles I did a party gyle with the spent grains from the NARWHAL clone from Chico this wknd. Added lots of sugar and half# lactose to make a 10gal batch. Lower abv but the lactose adds lots of mouthfeel so now see the reasoning behind the recipe you are planing. Hope i hopped it enough to counter the sweetness. Think it was about 50ibu with og of 1.044.
That sounds pretty cool, please post back as to how it turns out.

Ahhh, got it, thanks Bud!
I have been thinking about doing a party Gayle, especially since I have bumped up to 10 gallon batches. Maybe a RIS, and a... Not so RIS ;)

Back