First American IPA for beginner

Mayngy

Trial Member
Reaction score
What is a good American IPA recipe for a beginner to take on?

Can't give you an exact recipe, but avoid any that have a hop schedule longer than your arm. Pick one or two hops, keep the additions simple and appreciate what they bring to the beer. This might sound crazy, but you really can make a nice IPA with only one hop!

Edit for readability!

By American IPA I assume you mean west coast style and not a hazy NEIPA. If that is the case, then a simple grain bill without much dark crystal malt and a combination a a few American "C" hops (Citra centennial cascade chinook CTZ ) should get you in the ballpark. I tend towards a grain bill that is about 75% pale malt 10% light Munich 10% carapils and 5% flaked oats. For the hops I do a small addition at 60 minutes for bittering and the rest I split evenly between 5 minute, hopstand (for about 20 minutes) and dry hop additions. My favourite is a blend of Citra centennial and cascade.

Last edited:
What is your method? Extract, Partial Mash, BIAB, All Grain?

What is a good American IPA recipe for a beginner to take on?
Do you mean all-grain or extract?
Above post assumes all-grain and if that's the case, I agree with the advice to keep it simple. I'd skip the oats, personally and you won't hurt a think if you keep it really simple and do a SMASH with 2-row or Maris Otter and Cascade.

Yes, sorry I meant to put all grain in there...thanks for the suggestions!

Reactions: J A
If you've brewed a Pale Ale that you like, just up the base malt by 2 or 3 lbs., double all of the hops except the 60 minute addition, then adjust the 60 minute addition so the total IBUs match the OG. That'll get you there without much extra figuring.

I'm doing one today, with Polaris hops to see how they are.

Just 2-row. Nothing fancy. 20g at 60 minutes.

Back