Powdered Sugar in Boil

Cavebrewer

Trial Member
Reaction score
I've seen many posts online about not using powdered sugar when bottling because it can cause bottle bombs, however, would it be ok to use during the boil? They say it has some added corn starch but I'm not sure if it would make much of a difference. Again, it's not for priming, and it's a recipe I plan to keg. Just want someone else's opinion.

there are no issues with using any sugar in the boil, the issue with bottles could be because of clumping and exact amounts of weight

MrBIP said:
Just wonder why?
Cheaper than corn sugar and dissolves better than granulated sugar. At least that's the theory behind it.

the more natural the sugar meaning no bleaching processing or washing, the better the yeast will like it, so table sugar powdered sugar and so on will work but not as well as natural cane or Turbinado and corn sugar

I'd be cautious of any additives to the powdered sugar (anti-caking agents). Besides, dump sugar in boiling water (or wort) and it dissolves almost instantly, there's no chemical difference between powdered and crystal sugar so why pay more? As to bottle bombs, if you calculate well and measure powdered sugar by weight instead of volume, I don't see how it could happen.

its the yeast liking it and eating it fast I meant not mixing with wort, any sugar will do that easy. as far as priming bottles, i don't do that my self any more since I have a 4 keg keezer and a bottle filler

I used corn sugar at the beginning of boil, and it was really good in my beer. I used it in a Belgian strong ale.

Back