Black IPA

MFTIC

Trial Member
Reaction score
Need to brew something ASAP. As much as i am a beginner i really feel like i need to try a little more. I swear one of these days i will switch to BIAB but for now extract it is.
Does anyone have a really awesome must do recipe?!? Searching and i have found a few. A little old (2014-2016)and all way different hops. All look good and doable though!
If it helps the only Black IPA i've had is Squid Ink by Pike Place in Seattle and really liked.

AnteK has a Black IPA recipe that I poached, it is outstanding! It is called BacK in BlacK. Not sure how you would adapt it to extract though ...

I have my own recipe that I have brewed 3 versions using different hops but with extract. I call it Nightfall. It's not published though

I came up with something. Man there are soooo many different ways to go at it.

Mine
Blackprinz Malt, Midnight Wheat Malt, Carmel crystal 60l
Simcoe,armarillo,citra, chinook.
Of course all this depends on what my supplier has on hand.

*once again i'm posting in the wrong section i guess.

I came up with something. Man there are soooo many different ways to go at it.

Mine
Blackprinz Malt, Midnight Wheat Malt, Carmel crystal 60l
Simcoe,armarillo,citra, chinook.
Of course all this depends on what my supplier has on hand.

*once again i'm posting in the wrong section i guess.
Yep that hop combo sure sounds tasty I'm sure if divvied out right it'll make a tasty dark beer.

So you're going for something with an actual roast flavour in the beer? Yum, though there's a lot of people who'd prefer it wihout the blackprinz.

For my black IPA I started out with a fairly traditional hopping approach. A decent amount at 60 minutes and the rest at about 10 minutes. Then after really enjoying the hazy hopping approaches I was using for pales I tried it in my black. Much less impressive. I've been scaling it back ever since. I'm now back to a decent hit of bitterness at 60 minutes. A medium (or small by current standards) addition at flameout and then a medium dry hop 2-3 days before packaging.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/528454/ablale

Thanks for that Mark. This is uncharted territory for me so really I don't know what gives me what. Other than the hops that is. Funny that you said you scaled back. I originally dumped a ton of hops in but kept scaling it down until the recipe showed it to "match" the style.
Maybe I'll skip the gym tomorrow and hit the supplier. That way I can have a day to change things if need be.

The other thing with hops is that it's becoming more and more obvious that the IBU calculations just don't cope with the higher late hopping approaches people are using. I just did a hazy pale that the calculator told me was 13 IBU. So I was worried it was going to be too sweet. Just tasted it and it's definitely hoppy enough.

If you want a tool to tell you how bitter your pale lager with no late hops is going to taste, the current calculators are pretty good. After that all bets are off. Though it's the best tool we've got to use as a signpost to increase or decrease the hops for the next batch.

Back