Is there any use for a broken CO2 tank? (other than the garbage)

oliver

Premium Member
Reaction score
Months ago a guy brought in a 2.5# CO2 tank to get refilled, I took it out with the rest of my tanks to the welding supply. It got filled, but had a leak in the neck where the valve threads into the tank. We picked the tank up and the and opened the valve to blow out the CO2, grabbed a wrench to get it a new valve, and the brass tore open, complete decapitation. Never seen brass split like that. So now the threads are stuck in the tank's neck, and the valve is 100% decapitated, and I have what are probably some worthless pieces of metal. I call the guy numerous times, leave voicemails, he never returns the call, I've had this broken tank for months.

I'd like to think I can salvage it somehow? Or sell the thing for parts? Creative ideas, maybe? Turn it into a lamp? Any advice before it finally gets trashed?

Attachments

• IMG_4236.JPG
    IMG_4236.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 168
Agree with @Ozarks Mountain Brew and that is my approach when that happens to me (happens often on old equipment). Brass can however be a bit challenging because it's pretty soft. Guess it's up to you if the cost for the bit and whatever else is required for repair is worth it.

it's a 2.5 pound tank, so not that useful. I get maybe a handful of people per year asking if there's anything smaller than 5.

it's a 2.5 pound tank, so not that useful. I get maybe a handful of people per year asking if there's anything smaller than 5.
Replace the tank. It's safer. I had an uncle killed by a regulator blown from an oxygen cylinder. I don't mess with compressed gas.

Do what the company you get them filled from says. Not something to mess with. If it can be fixed the supplier would know. If they shrug their shoulders and go "I don't know " get a new supplier. If that valve would have broken off when tank was full you could have had a catastrophy. As pointed out.:(

Paper weight :p door stop:cool: or maybe even a wheel chock when out camping or automatic door closer rigged up on a pulley system just don't stand in the road of the door when it's closing:eek:!

Back