There has to be a better way...

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
How do you get your grains out of the mash tun and into the compost bin? I have tried using a scoop, but it makes too much of a mess... One spoon at a time, 25# grain bill, like the saying goes "how do you eat an elephant?, One bite at a time"
IMG_20190914_1140294.jpg

Would it be possible to just pick it up turn it over to dump it into the bin?

And then I started lining my MLT with a huge grain bag.
That! ^^^ Only way to go. I'm jealous of the tippy dump. I have to lift and carry 30+ lbs of went grain. But you couldn't pay me to spoon it out. :eek::)

How do you get your grains out of the mash tun and into the compost bin? I have tried using a scoop, but it makes too much of a mess... One spoon at a time, 25# grain bill, like the saying goes "how do you eat an elephant?, One bite at a time"
View attachment 7198
My brewery is sidewalk level so I just bring wagon in brewery, load MT in wagon, pull it out to the garden and dump in compost pile. In winter sometimes it accidentally gets spilled in plowed corner of driveway but the deer do a wonderful job of cleaning up. ;)

I used one for years, then one day I needed to brew and none were clean which I hated to do and just threw the grain in and never looked back , takes me 10 minutes to clean my mash tun while boiling, what else am I going to do lol

I use the metal scoop from my grain can. A friend uses a plastic feed scoop that’s bigger and squared off in the front. It works great.

I scoop mine out onto the garden. Our alkaline clay benefits from it.

Mash in a bag.

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-16_17-33-12.png
    upload_2019-9-16_17-33-12.png
    487.2 KB · Views: 128
I built my tun out a 13 gal stainless stock pot, just installed a bulkhead and a bazooka screen, insulated with an inch of reflectix around the outside. Just dump it into a bushel basket and feed it to Dad's steers. Cleans up in about a minute with a water hose(scrub and sanitize before next use).

I built a tippy dump!
And then I started lining my MLT with a huge grain bag. So I drain, tie up the bag, and dump into a bin.
View attachment 7199

You can see it's simple- just a hinge set up with a dowel and pin. It's a lifesaver!
Very interesting tippy device, got my wheels turning on that...

Would it be possible to just pick it up turn it over to dump it into the bin?
25 lbs of grain, plus the 3.2 gallons of water (another 30+ lbs), plus the weight of the Keggle (must be another 30 lbs), means 70-80 lbs. To muscle it by hand is not feasible.

My brewery is sidewalk level so I just bring wagon in brewery, load MT in wagon, pull it out to the garden and dump in compost pile. In winter sometimes it accidentally gets spilled in plowed corner of driveway but the deer do a wonderful job of cleaning up. ;)
Appreciate the input, but I don't have a big enough yard for a compost pile, and it is 32" off the ground on my stand.

When I did 5 gallon BIAB brews with 10-12 lbs of grain I was able to dump the bag into my compost bin. I seriously did not enjoy cleaning the bag.

I use the metal scoop from my grain can. A friend uses a plastic feed scoop that’s bigger and squared off in the front. It works great.
I think I will stop at the local farm store see kind of scoops they have there, thanks for the input.

Thanks to all

When I did 5 gallon BIAB brews with 10-12 lbs of grain I was able to dump the bag into my compost bin. I seriously did not enjoy cleaning the bag.

I can relate. That's why I left BIAB. It was a big decision getting another bag for my mt. I don't really 'clean' the bag anymore. I dump it out and hang it outside to dry. Once dry, I basically just give it a couple shakes, dust it off real quick and call it done.

I use something like this to get down in my vertical barrel smoker. Works great. Scroll down about 1/2 the page. Hoe scoop.
https://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256130

Last edited:
I dump my bag in the compost pit, hang it on a hand truck, hose it off and let it dry on the hand truck. During the winter I wring it out after hosing it off and throw it in with the wash. That and hosing out my MLT takes maybe 5 or 10 minutes.

Back