Cream Ale.

Charlie W

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thinking about making one to see how it turns out. Paupack brewery here in North East PA makes a very nice one and I have had the Southern Tier Cream Ale 2 years ago on tap at Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse.
Seems like a nice style. However, with the flaked corn that most recipes call for.... should I add that to the mash, grind it, mash it before adding it to the mash? Any experience would be appreciated. All the best, Charlie.

Last edited:
Thinking about making one to see how it turns out. Paupack brewery here in North East PA makes a very nice one and I have had the Southern Tier Cream Ale 2 years ago on tap at Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse.
Seems like a nice style. However, with the flaked corn that most recipes call for.... should I add that to the mash, grind it, mash it before adding it to the mash? Any experience would be appreciated. All the best, Charlie.

Flaked corn shouldn't be milled with your grains. Just add it to the mash with the grains. I almost always have cream ale on tap. It's an easy light drinker that everyone enjoys. I do mine based on Biermunchers Cream of Three Crops. It's a great beer. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/cream-of-three-crops-cream-ale.66503/
You may need rice hulls if you have a problem with stuck sparges. I mash a little on the low side at 150f for 90 minutes.

Here is my recipe to give you another reference point.

This recipe won first place 2017 Bluebonnet Brewoff Hop Showcase category which was brewing a beer with cluster hops.
This beer was also entered in the light American beer category and earned 2nd place at the same competition.

Cluster Cream

5 Gallon BIAB

5lb American 6-Row 1.8L 52.6%
3lb American Pale Ale 3.5L 31.6%
1.51b Flaked Maize 0.5L 15.8%

0.6oz Cluster Hops 60 min. AA7.2, 17.6IBU
1oz Cluster Hops 0 Min. AA7.2, 0IBU

Mash at 151 Degrees

Yeast Nutrient and whirlflock at 15min

Wyeast 2112 California Lager, ferment at 63 degrees

OG 1.053
FG 1.011
5.5% ABV
IBU 17
SRM 3.89

I used RO water with Gypsum added at 1tsp per 5 gallons of water (at the time I brewed this I was not that knowledgeable about mash pH etc. )

Are you stuck on flake corn? I have won numerous awards with American Lager and Cream Ales using Minute Rice. Minute Rice works as well as flake corn/flake rice, but because it gelatinized already it works great in the mash. Minute Rice doesn’t get rancid like flaked rice, it comes across very fresh.

When I use it I grind it to a flour and add 4 to 8 ounces of rice hulls to the mash for a 5 gallon batch. Even though I use rice, judges comment on the light corn flavor. It’s my favorite adjunct in American Lager/ Cream Ale. Both beers have basically the same grist and hop profile, just a slightly different fermentation.

Flaked corn shouldn't be milled with your grains. Just add it to the mash with the grains. I almost always have cream ale on tap. It's an easy light drinker that everyone enjoys. I do mine based on Biermunchers Cream of Three Crops. It's a great beer. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/cream-of-three-crops-cream-ale.66503/
You may need rice hulls if you have a problem with stuck sparges. I mash a little on the low side at 150f for 90 minutes.

That's the recipe I'm looking at. I wasn't sure whether to mash the corn before before throwing it in the mash. Thanks thunderwagn. All the best, Charlie.

Are you stuck on flake corn? I have won numerous awards with American Lager and Cream Ales using Minute Rice. Minute Rice works as well as flake corn/flake rice, but because it gelatinized already it works great in the mash. Minute Rice doesn’t get rancid like flaked rice, it comes across very fresh.

When I use it I grind it to a flour and add 4 to 8 ounces of rice hulls to the mash for a 5 gallon batch. Even though I use rice, judges comment on the light corn flavor. It’s my favorite adjunct in American Lager/ Cream Ale. Both beers have basically the same grist and hop profile, just a slightly different fermentation.

Thanks HighVoltageMan, I think the recipe also calls for minute rice and will take your advice onboard. Charlie.

I'm a big fan of the rice, too. I usually just cook up a few lbs of white rice because it's cheaper than anything else you can buy and it's easy to work into the mash. I use Cal-Rose because it has higher starch/sugar content than regular long-grain rice but it all works just fine.
I use it for International Lagers, though, with simple noble hops.
When I make a Cream Ale, I want corn and Cluster, like @NTexBrewer 's recipe. My recipe is simpler using just Pilsner and Corn at 20% and I like some Saaz in the hopping along with the Cluster to give it a little noble, spicy hop flavor.

Here is my recipe to give you another reference point.

This recipe won first place 2017 Bluebonnet Brewoff Hop Showcase category which was brewing a beer with cluster hops.
This beer was also entered in the light American beer category and earned 2nd place at the same competition.

Cluster Cream

5 Gallon BIAB

5lb American 6-Row 1.8L 52.6%
3lb American Pale Ale 3.5L 31.6%
1.51b Flaked Maize 0.5L 15.8%

0.6oz Cluster Hops 60 min. AA7.2, 17.6IBU
1oz Cluster Hops 0 Min. AA7.2, 0IBU

Mash at 151 Degrees

Yeast Nutrient and whirlflock at 15min

Wyeast 2112 California Lager, ferment at 63 degrees

OG 1.053
FG 1.011
5.5% ABV
IBU 17
SRM 3.89

I used RO water with Gypsum added at 1tsp per 5 gallons of water (at the time I brewed this I was not that knowledgeable about mash pH etc. )
Cluster is a great, underused bittering hop - it leaves a blueberry-currant flavor when used as a boil hop (and yes, boil hops do contribute flavors). I use it in my Kentucky Common.

Cluster is a great, underused bittering hop - it leaves a blueberry-currant flavor when used as a boil hop (and yes, boil hops do contribute flavors). I use it in my Kentucky Common.
From what I have read cluster was the hop brought across America by settlers for medicinal purposes. It was refined and named later.

NTexBrewer you mash @151 deg but for how long?
Thanks for the recipe, I've been looking for 1 for a while. My non beer drinking Wife only liked Little King Cream Ale. Just looking for something she'd like.

NTexBrewer you mash @151 deg but for how long?
Thanks for the recipe, I've been looking for 1 for a while. My non beer drinking Wife only liked Little King Cream Ale. Just looking for something she'd like.

Sorry for the late reply. I mash for 1 hour

Hey Charlie!

Glad you’ve enjoyed Paupack Cream Ale. You can just add the Flaked Maize right to the mash. I created this beer and am happy to share some info.

Here is a home brew version of the beer:

OG: 1.046
FG: 1.011
ABV: 4.5% ABV
IBU: 15
SRM: 3.3

7.5 Gal Boil/ 5.5 Gal Recipe

Grain Bill:

6.0 lbs: American Pale 2-Row
1.3 lbs: German Vienna
1.2 lbs: American Flaked Maize
0.5 lbs: German Carafoam

Hops:

60 min- 15 IBU- Bravo

Yeast: Kolsch/ German Ale

Brewing Instructions:

Mash at 152F for 60 minutes. Use a 1.25 qt/ lb water to grain ratio. Vorlauf until clear. Collect 7.5 Gallons in the Kettle. Boil 60 minutes and follow hop schedule. Cool to 62F and transfer to fermenter. Ferment until terminal gravity is reached, keep temp below 70F. (If possible) transfer beer into a C02 purged corny keg under 3-5 PSI and lager for 1 week. If you cannot do this, just store the beer cold 1 week before drinking. Bottle or keg and enjoy!

I soooooo want that above post to be legit (and not an April Fool's Joke)! Paupack Cream is one of my favorites of the style.
Here it is. I posted this a few weeks ago in the "What are you drinking now" thread.

e0978292-8671-4e97-bcf7-b662bf0e654b-jpeg.9138

Wait...wait...wait!!!

I posted this in the "I visited a brewery today" thread last year.

Look how the ABV and IBU's line up to the post above! Proof! Sorry for doubting you CJP3!

(*Edit for the Brewer's name change*)

img_1029-jpg.6904

Last edited:
I soooooo want that above post to be legit (and not an April Fool's Joke)! Paupack Cream is one of my favorites of the style.
Here it is. I posted this a few weeks ago in the "What are you drinking now" thread.

e0978292-8671-4e97-bcf7-b662bf0e654b-jpeg.9138

No worries! This is 100% legit. I was the original Head Brewer and have since hung up my brewing boots and am happily home brewing now. I didn’t know anyone in the home brewing community was interested in that beer. I stumbled across this forum post last night and thought I would share some info! My recipe is adapted for home brewing and should get you close to the real thing. Thank you for posting about that beer!

Anyone want to post some pics of the cream ale they made? Just thought I'd ask since there were a couple of people who said they've brewed one and/or were planning to brew one.
@Charlie W - How did yours turn out and what recipe did you go with?

Wait...wait...wait!!!

I posted this in the "I visited a brewery today" thread last year.

Look how the ABV and IBU's line up to the post above! Proof! Sorry for doubting you CJP3!

(*Edit for the Brewer's name change*)

img_1029-jpg.6904
VERY COOL! I might have to try that recipe!

Anyone want to post some pics of the cream ale they made? Just thought I'd ask since there were a couple of people who said they've brewed one and/or were planning to brew one.
@Charlie W - How did yours turn out and what recipe did you go with?
My Kentucky Common is effectively a dark cream ale. Recipe is available on the site.

Back