Fermzilla Conical Fermenter V2

Same issue here. Got my first brew in there and it's slightly leaking at 20PSI. It's so difficult to get a grip of anything to tighten it further - and it already is tight. I got a good deal during a water pressure test earlier but as you say, you don't know if you've got it right until it's too late.

Received the replacement today. Initially I filled the Fermzilla with a couple gallons of warm water. Added the collection cup (valve closed) and no leaking. Once I opened the valve it leaked (dripping) from the same place as the other. I only hand tightened the collection cup.
I removed the cup, added a thin layer of keg lube to see if that helps. Opened the valve and still drips. it's not much but more than i feel comfortable with. At this point I am no interested in using the strap to tighten the crap out of the cup to prevent leaking. If this thin doesnt seal properly with just hand tightening then I dont want it.
The idea behind the Fermzilla is great. But the sealing sucks. Seems like i am the only one having issues with this and maybe is just me being petty. But I cant have issues with the cup not sealing especially with trub removal or dry hopping and not know if the cup will seal until I open the valve.
Anyway, going to play with it a bit more tonight and if I cannot get it to seal to my satisfaction, I'll return it and go with the Kegmenter.

Same issue here. Got my first brew in there and it's slightly leaking at 20PSI. It's so difficult to get a grip of anything to tighten it further - and it already is tight. I got a good deal during a water pressure test earlier but as you say, you don't know if you've got it right until it's too late.
The replacement I received seems to be fine but I haven't had a chance to pressurize it past 5 psi. Going to try it today with 6.5 gal of water just to see how it is loaded up.
And I agree- very difficult to get any leverage but honestly you should not have to tighten the cup more than hand tight. Anything more than that will make it very difficult to remove to dump trub or dry hop.

I'm still on the hook about the Fermzilla. I like the concept but dont know if I want to be fighting with a leaking issue if it arises. If you remove the cup to dump or dry hop and the cup leaks when re-attached with the fermenter full then the only option would be to close off the valve but that would make the 'Zilla useless for me. Part of the reason I bought this is to DH under pressure with zero oxygen exposure.

I wanted to brew today but don't think i will have time. May have to wait until next Saturday.
If you haven't tried keg lube on the gaskets try that and see if the leaking stops.

Hmm, glad I stumbled upon this thread. I've actually been considering the trub removal version, but now leaning towards the snub nose. Kinda unfortunate really as I'd rather have the valve and other options the fermzilla offers. I might wait it out a bit and see how it plays out here. I really like the option to move the fermenter directly to my keezer for serving and no transfer at all. Decisions...

Another beef with both of these conicals...why no pinlock option? WTH!?

Another beef with both of these conicals...why no pinlock option? WTH!?
You'd have to buy pin lock posts and screw them on. My snub nose lid has male thread so would have to be a female pin lock disconnect fitting.

Or get some threaded disconnects so you can change from ball to pin lock fittings.

Here ya go @thunderwagn . I've been doing this with all my lines so interchangeable
And easier to install.
Screenshot_20190910-054231_Samsung Internet.jpg

These push fittings allow for heaps of flexibility.
Screenshot_20190910-054253_Samsung Internet.jpg

I.cant find the female pin lock disconnect but I'm sure if ball lock make em pin lock should too.

I'll be brewing this upcoming weekend and using the Fermzila for the first time. Will report my thoughts on brew day.

I've hand-tightened the cup and didn't have any leaking. I only had it under 5 PSI but will fill it and hit it with 15 psi and see what happens.
If it leaks, it's going back. Not going to be fighting with the cup on every brew day and every time I unscrew it, which would be 2 times per use.
I know there are guys who have these with no issues so maybe it's just me but honestly who wants to use a damn strap wrench to tighten a cup to prevent leaking? Don't know about others but I don't. I'm trying to keep my brew days simple.

@thunderwagn don't let my issues prevent you from getting the Fermzilla. As for as I know there are no other brewers who have these that have posted any issues. Morebeeer says they are not aware of the cups leaking.

You'd have to buy pin lock posts and screw them on. My snub nose lid has male thread so would have to be a female pin lock disconnect fitting.

Or get some threaded disconnects so you can change from ball to pin lock fittings.

Yeah, I've got plenty of MFL connectors. I just don't know why they can't save buyers the hassle. There are plenty pin lock users out there. We aren't that rare, but I do realize everything is more geared towards ball lock. I guess it is what it is and not that big of a deal. Just complaining I guess. And thanks for the feedback and links man. I did watch the videos you posted above also. I subscribed to his channel. He made me smile a few times lol.

I'll be brewing this upcoming weekend and using the Fermzila for the first time. Will report my thoughts on brew day.

I've hand-tightened the cup and didn't have any leaking. I only had it under 5 PSI but will fill it and hit it with 15 psi and see what happens.
If it leaks, it's going back. Not going to be fighting with the cup on every brew day and every time I unscrew it, which would be 2 times per use.
I know there are guys who have these with no issues so maybe it's just me but honestly who wants to use a damn strap wrench to tighten a cup to prevent leaking? Don't know about others but I don't. I'm trying to keep my brew days simple.

@thunderwagn don't let my issues prevent you from getting the Fermzilla. As for as I know there are no other brewers who have these that have posted any issues. Morebeeer says they are not aware of the cups leaking.

I do like the versatility of the Fermzilla more. Most likely it's what I'll end up with. I do agree with you though. Seals shouldn't be that difficult or need that amount of torque to keep from dripping. Even with a drip or two, I'd take it over the Catalyst any day I think.

Yeah, I've got plenty of MFL connectors. I just don't know why they can't save buyers the hassle. There are plenty pin lock users out there. We aren't that rare, but I do realize everything is more geared towards ball lock. I guess it is what it is and not that big of a deal. Just complaining I guess. And thanks for the feedback and links man. I did watch the videos you posted above also. I subscribed to his channel. He made me smile a few times lol.

I do like the versatility of the Fermzilla more. Most likely it's what I'll end up with. I do agree with you though. Seals shouldn't be that difficult or need that amount of torque to keep from dripping. Even with a drip or two, I'd take it over the Catalyst any day I think.
Yep the gashslug has given me much inspiration and information in my short time brewing. We need people like him in the hobby I think.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the fermentation under pressure/transfer attachments are a $30 add on option. How would you bottle from this vessel? I see nothing in the included unit to transfer in any way other than pressure.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the fermentation under pressure/transfer attachments are a $30 add on option. How would you bottle from this vessel? I see nothing in the included unit to transfer in any way other than pressure.

That was my issue with them, they are providing a unit that is really only suited to pressure transfer but dont include the pressure kit and instead sell it as an optional extra. I ended up sucking it up and went for one but it really isnt all that cost effective for what it is.

Another issue is Morebeer is backordered on pressure kits. To transfer you'd have to siphon I guess. Seems like a big oversight to not have any other option. I'm struggling pulling the trigger on this one.

Well, despite not having the pressure kit which I feel is a necessity for this fermenter, I went ahead and ordered one while it was in stock. I may find the pressure kit elsewhere. If it gets here on Saturday, Nautical Star may be my 1st beer to hit this fermenter on Sunday. I'll use the air lock for now and probably use an old school racking cane till I can get the kit.

Well, despite not having the pressure kit which I feel is a necessity for this fermenter, I went ahead and ordered one while it was in stock. I may find the pressure kit elsewhere. If it gets here on Saturday, Nautical Star may be my 1st beer to hit this fermenter on Sunday. I'll use the air lock for now and probably use an old school racking cane till I can get the kit.
Go to Ebay and order a floating diptube and two carb caps. Same thing as the pressure kit MoreBeer sells.
The floating diptube comes from China so it will take a month. I paid $16 for mine with free shipping and the carb caps are around $10-12 for two- Amazon also sells the carb caps but not sure on the floating diptube.

As for bottling from the Fermzilla, you may need to get one of those beer guns to use. I think Kegland sells their version which looks nice. I quit bottling. I only keg but would like to maybe can some of my brews down the line but the can seamers are too expensive for me.

As for bottling from the Fermzilla, you may need to get one of those beer guns to use. I think Kegland sells their version which looks nice. I quit bottling. I only keg but would like to maybe can some of my brews down the line but the can seamers are too expensive for me.

I don't bottle either, just seems an oversight to not have any other attachment for the bottom to hook a hose to even for transferring to a keg...like now when pressure transfer is difficult without the kit. Williams Brewing has some in stock and I may end up just ordering one from there.
All in all though, I'm pretty excited to have one coming. I can work through the kinks and it does seem to be a pretty well thought out fermenter for the $.

I don't bottle either, just seems an oversight to not have any other attachment for the bottom to hook a hose to even for transferring to a keg...like now when pressure transfer is difficult without the kit. Williams Brewing has some in stock and I may end up just ordering one from there.
All in all though, I'm pretty excited to have one coming. I can work through the kinks and it does seem to be a pretty well thought out fermenter for the $.
I think the carb caps on the collection pods a great ideah. I'm thinking also if you get any blockages with hops you can inject co2 into collection port to force co2 up through fermentor like the pros do to recirculate hops ect.
It come down to size for me and simple just wouldn't fit in my chamber.
And well if your fermenting in a freezer the collection port thing seems a bit defunked because you'd have to lift it up out the chamber to do the dump.
But an upright fridge is a perfect set up for this unit.
Or better yet a glycol coil. They sell them for them zilla's

I ordered the 55 Litre fermzilla diptube and cut it down, the carb caps I got from another supplier. The use of a blowtie and inline gauge was genius, I can set my blowtie to the right pressure and just let the yeast produce the CO2 for me.

I will probably just wait it out a bit. I hate ordering all over the place and paying shipping charges on each one. I'll wait and do one order and get all the fittings and pressure kit at once.
Kinda funny, I've used push lock type fittings for years on chemical feed lines. Not once did I ever consider them for homebrew. Thanks @Trialben for pointing them out!

I will probably just wait it out a bit. I hate ordering all over the place and paying shipping charges on each one. I'll wait and do one order and get all the fittings and pressure kit at once.
Kinda funny, I've used push lock type fittings for years on chemical feed lines. Not once did I ever consider them for homebrew. Thanks @Trialben for pointing them out!
I know the snub nose comes standard with the floating dip tube there thunder.
I'm sure you won't have to wait long I'm amazed at all the cool gear coming out for us hombrewers that replicates some of the tech the big brewers use.

Yep next order I make with the kegland is going to have a blow tie kit in it and a flow stopper.
If use wanna see a great keg filling idea that stops you over filling a keg on transfer check out that flow stopper unit for the kegland it's simple but beaut idea.

Back