Nobler Than Thou

BilltownBrewingCo

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/879988/nobler-than-thou

Hey all...

Looking at doing a variant on the standard Czech Pils that uses all the noble hops. It's a bit more of a new-school technique with the whirlpool hops with an old school style of beer. I have never really used nobles in this way, but I do know that they are heavy on hop oils, so in my head I can rationalize them being good in this application.

The recipe calculator makes the hop schedule look way more complicated than it really is. It's 1 oz of each noble hop, and I will do 4 one ounce additions comprised of a quarter ounce of each varietal. A standard 60 minute bittering charge, then 20 minute, 10 minute, then a 170 degree, 15-20 minute whirlpool for the last addition.

I may work in some carafoam for the malt bill, but it's likely to just be all Barke Pils

Also considering a dry hop with another similar addition to the previous 4... another thing I've not done with Nobles.

Thoughts on the recipe?

Last edited:
Interesting well you'll sure know what nobel hops taste like. My only thoughts is that hopefully they all blend together well and don't clash against one another. there all delecate hops should be good I recon.

They add different flavors depending on how long they're boiled so don't be too surprised if your test doesn't yield the desired results.

They add different flavors depending on how long they're boiled so don't be too surprised if your test doesn't yield the desired results.

Should I add more layers, maybe a middle of the boil addition to hit all of the possible flavor notes?

Depends on the outcome you want. When I use Noble hops, I'm generally looking for the woody-spicy flavor a long boil brings. Later, they'll bring more of the vegetal flavors and floral notes. Whirlpooled, grassy flavors. I don't know that I'd want to hit all of the flavor notes in a single beer. Matter of taste, though. I tend to do one FWH add for noble hops but that's my preference.

Back