head/head retention

Scrumpy

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have been adding a 1/2# of light dme to my recipes lately for head retention, with great results. I have tried carapils and wheat in the past, but I like the DME. What say you?

until recently Ive always had too much head on my draws, first week half a glass but now hardly anything, maybe Ill try this thanks

If I want to increase the head retention, I'll add a 1/2 # flaked wheat.
Works for me but I really don't do it often. My 2 cents.
Brian

When Breiss makes Light DME, I believe they use a small percentage of CaraPils in the mash, which is used for head retention as well.

bilhelm96 said:
When Breiss makes Light DME, I believe they use a small percentage of CaraPils in the mash, which is used for head retention as well.

I started using it after hearing some DME brands have PGA in it. Propylene glycol alginate is used in many of the BMC beers to help their low hopped thin beer have head retention.
I can't say with certainty that there is PGA in the DME I have, it may just be the CaraPils in it like you suggest.
It seems to be working though....

Scrumpy said:
....Propylene glycol alginate is used in many of the BMC beers to help their low hopped thin beer have head retention

Yet another reason, why I prefer to brew my own. Synthetic ingredients, Yummm.

Foster82 said:
Yet another reason, why I prefer to brew my own. Synthetic ingredients, Yummm.

It's just kelp, but yeah, byo is good.

I generally don't add anything for head retention and get pretty good results. I do all-grain, lots of German styles and in the last few months, lots of decoctions.

I've had great results with just 2-3% carapils in my recipes.

ShaunNewman said:
I've had great results with just 2-3% carapils in my recipes.
Ditto here, though I generally have 5-10%. (I like getting a lot of head...)

Back