Racked this stubborn brew today gravity 1.022 so no movement on gravity dam it. Anyhow can't wait to taste it tastes lovely.

Hey anyone got any ideas on next BF recipe I've gotta get another brew down soon :rolleyes:

I'm thinking session ale 4% ~ base/Vienna 10% - clean yeast and some inticing late/whirlpool hops.

Anyone?
Sounds like a helles to me.

Or a kolsch, if we go the top fermentation route.
I'm still drinking on a big batch of Kolsch from a couple of months back but I'm due for brewing my rice lager and I'd be happy to share the recipe for that. I use S-23 for that one and it's perfectly happy being brewed at Kolsh or even reasonable standard ale temperatures.

LOL. I've got a batch in the fermenter and 3 more ahead of the Community brew. You're too fast for me Ben!
Was thinking about a double brew day but that would screw up my routine. Harvesting slurry and pitching it the next day. The next 3 brews are starting with another strain, so I'm locked into single brew days for a month or so.

I'm still drinking on a big batch of Kolsch from a couple of months back but I'm due for brewing my rice lager and I'd be happy to share the recipe for that. I use S-23 for that one and it's perfectly happy being brewed at Kolsh or even reasonable standard ale temperatures.
I'd cut the Vienna in Ben's grist to 5% and make up the difference with flaked wheat but it's sound. One variant I've made on Kolsch that actually was on a professional tap a few summers ago was to ferment the Kolsch grist with Hefeweizen yeast. Add the ferrulic acid rest and you have a pretty good faux hefeweizen.

My biggest problem with doing this one is I don't need any more summer beers! I'm now switching over to Alts, Imperial Stouts, Experimental black ales....

Without some planning and scheduling, getting participation in a group brew is really tough to do, especially when everyone expects to have some input into the recipe. The only luck I've had was with a scheduled SMASH (or very simple recipe) series that was scheduled out in such a way to allow brewers to plan ahead and be able to compare results.

Yes difficult to coordinate. I was pondering on some wheat after going through a few recipies I remembered this one ale though hops can be interchanged but was nice with mosaic. https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/669154/lil-ale.

I like the sound of rice beer JA though I've tried Ozarks Blondie with pre cooked rice and flaked rice hopped with Sazz fermented with 34/70.

Oh but some helles mmm that's been in the back of the mind too. Pilsner -Vienna and some carahell.

Reactions: J A
Has anyone else brewed this Stout yet?

Here's an early sample on my version.
20190818_131749.jpg

Sorry about the bluriness maybe the photographers had one already lol. Even though it finished high it's not overly sweet but not as dry as the proper version I'm imagining. There's not much carbonation at this point but thought I'd post an early tasting note anyhow. The aroma is quite nice it's hard to describe sorta aniseedy liquorice type/ sweet malt thing going on there is that roast slight coffee aroma too. Flavour I'm surprising the body is quite light, some carbonation will help bring out that body more I'm sure but I'm sorta getting that roasty chocolate slight burntnes with a touch of sweetness on the finish not dry. bitterness is smooth as not bitey at all almost not enough (I'm guessing some better attenuation might a helped there too). Appearance through the light it's got some redish brown edges not as ink black as I thought head is lacking but I'm hoping some carbonation will help lift that.

All round not a bad beer at all that flavour lingers a bit let's you know your drinking a roasted malted beverage.

Look forward to seeing what others think of the BF community brew when its ready for sampling.

Certainly looks delicious. I'm probably still a few weeks to a month out on brewing this one. Easily a month out...

I plan to give this one a shot. Hopefully mid/late September. I haven't brewed a Stout or used some of those ingredients.

That color looks great.

I would start with Maris Otter at about 85%, Cara-Pils and Flaked oats at 6% each and 3% Lactose to push the sweetness up. 6 IBU of chinook at 15 mins, citra and azacca in WP, same in high krausen and again 2 days later. (5 gal Batch) Imperial Dry hop yeast.

I would start with Maris Otter at about 85%, Cara-Pils and Flaked oats at 6% each and 3% Lactose to push the sweetness up. 6 IBU of chinook at 15 mins, citra and azacca in WP, same in high krausen and again 2 days later. (5 gal Batch) Imperial Dry hop yeast.
That's starting to sound like a completely different recipe which wasn't the point of the thread but thanks for the input. Give it a go and let us know how it turns out!

I know many use Maris Otter in stouts and porters, and I may too if it's not something that's big and roasty, but my taste just isn't refined enough I guess to pick up the difference that makes it worth paying the extra vs 2 row.

Sounds tasty for an IPA style beer for sure.

Has anyone else brewed this Stout yet?

Here's an early sample on my version.
View attachment 6910
Sorry about the bluriness maybe the photographers had one already lol. Even though it finished high it's not overly sweet but not as dry as the proper version I'm imagining. There's not much carbonation at this point but thought I'd post an early tasting note anyhow. The aroma is quite nice it's hard to describe sorta aniseedy liquorice type/ sweet malt thing going on there is that roast slight coffee aroma too. Flavour I'm surprising the body is quite light, some carbonation will help bring out that body more I'm sure but I'm sorta getting that roasty chocolate slight burntnes with a touch of sweetness on the finish not dry. bitterness is smooth as not bitey at all almost not enough (I'm guessing some better attenuation might a helped there too). Appearance through the light it's got some redish brown edges not as ink black as I thought head is lacking but I'm hoping some carbonation will help lift that.

All round not a bad beer at all that flavour lingers a bit let's you know your drinking a roasted malted beverage.

Look forward to seeing what others think of the BF community brew when its ready for sampling.

Interesting take on this recipe. I want big roast, not dry yet not real sweet either. I like my stouts big and roasty with a thick mouth feel and enough hop bite to balance. I'm moving this to the front line. If I can free up some time, it may get brewed this coming weekend.

That's starting to sound like a completely different recipe which wasn't the point of the thread but thanks for the input. Give it a go and let us know how it turns out!
Originally they asked for a Bubble gum IPA, not my style for sure but I can make one!
I guess I need to keep up with the current conversational flow....

Interesting take on this recipe. I want big roast, not dry yet not real sweet either. I like my stouts big and roasty with a thick mouth feel and enough hop bite to balance. I'm moving this to the front line. If I can free up some time, it may get brewed this coming weekend.
Well considering I didn't use the chocolate malt (silly me left it in the tub) it's got quite a nice chocolate nose and flavour. Yep it ticks near all the boxes you can tell it's a well crafted recipie everything just ballances in nicely I find. If someone who isn't a big dark ale fan this is quite approachable very delicious.
I just find it's smooth all round not too bitter not too roasty not too dry but still full bodied and full flavoured.
One of the best beers I've brewed this year!:)

It's next in my list - had to knock the kettle-soured Kottbusser out first. Of course, with all the life happening in the household right now, not sure when I'll be able to brew again... Good thing the shelves are full!

Originally they asked for a Bubble gum IPA, not my style for sure but I can make one!
I guess I need to keep up with the current conversational flow....
I was the one who rebelled against the Bubble Gum IPA and presented the current community recipe based on a friend and professional brewer's "favorite mistake". It's been a while so it might be time to come up with a second "community recipe". Bubble gum IPA.... It's been so long since I've had bubble gum I don't even know where to start! I was thinking chamomile but that's Juicy Fruit.

I'm thinking of doing an "Iron Brewer" competition in a few weeks - maybe that's an idea for a community recipe? A list of ingredients, see what we could make?

Back