Most Tired Beer Styles....

Waiters and waitresses prolly get tired of hearing “I’ll have a steak” at steak houses too, but that don’t mean steaks are going out of style, or “played out”. Interesting article though Nosy

Last edited:
They're are way too many fads in the craft beer industry, that's for sure. A well made Pilsner, Helles or Kolsch just aren't sexy enough for some people. But if a brewer can knock one of those out, he's got the skill to be able to brew a decent beer without trying to hide his sh!7 behind some fruity bomb. I prefer simple and delicious to complex and crappy.

They're are way too many fads in the craft beer industry, that's for sure. A well made Pilsner, Helles or Kolsch just aren't sexy enough for some people. But if a brewer can knock one of those out, he's got the skill to be able to brew a decent beer without trying to hide his sh!7 behind some fruity bomb. I prefer simple and delicious to complex and crappy.
Hence my strategy whenever approaching a new brewery: Order the fizziest, yellowest stuff they have. If they can get that right, I'll move on to some of the more complex stuff.

I'm part of a beer club that meets a few times a year. We have a two bomber per person minimum rule in place for everyone that shows up. I usually show up with two bombers and a cooler full of home-brew much to everyones delight. We usually finish everything that shows up. But at the last meeting there were five or six bombers left at the end of the night. They were all sours. I'm good for a glass of sour but generally don't want more than that and apparently most of the beer club group is starting to feel the same way. I find many of them taste the same and my stomach won't handle much of it. Luckily it seems that the sour fad is passing. Now I'm seeing a huge number of saisons and sac trois beers on the shelves of local specialty liquor stores. At least I like that type of beer more. Everything in moderation, but of course many people like to beat a dead horse until there is nothing left. Then they move on to the next horse. Similar to Nosy, I like to try a breweries' pale ale first. If its good, then its probably worth trying some of their other offerings.

Last edited:
Did 7000 craft brewers just read that article and cut all of the hose styles from their menus?

people expressing negativity about beer styles because they personally don't like them is the worst and most unattractive thing about the beer world.
Of course they don't like them...why else would they be expressing negativity. :D :D :D
If it's just some guy who doesn't like hops saying that all IPAs are bad, that's one thing but when someone who's around beer all day every day says something about an overwrought beer fad, I may have to give his or her opinion a listen. ;)

Waiters and waitresses prolly get tired of hearing “I’ll have a steak” at steak houses too, but that don’t mean steaks are going out of style, or “played out”. Interesting article though Nosy

Interesting indeed and good analogy here. Marketing some Triple Barrel Aged Double Dunkel Soured IPA is going to be more sizzle then steak for sure. Lots of this is going to be passing off some swill to the woked folk making the scene and helping drive the local economy but as we can see in predicting the trend, people will grow tired of the trend and the pendulum will swing the other way.

Interesting indeed and good analogy here. Marketing some Triple Barrel Aged Double Dunkel Soured IPA is going to be more sizzle then steak for sure. Lots of this is going to be passing off some swill to the woked folk making the scene and helping drive the local economy but as we can see in predicting the trend, people will grow tired of the trend and the pendulum will swing the other way.
That was my take. There's an interesting way to predict how long a technology will be in use: Take the amount of time it has been in use and double it. The same applies to beer styles, I think. It's another way of saying the classics will be around a lot longer than the double imperial New England milkshake IPA.

Back