Has anyone in this forum attempted a Pliny clone?

Rusty Shacklefood

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
How did yours turn out? I'd like to compare notes.

I used Vinnie Cilurzo's recipe and I was impressed with the results but surprised that it wasn't a particularly hoppy brew. Not by today's standards at least. In fact my first thoughts were that it drank more like an English bitter.

I have a DIPA recipe that's very similar and it's a hugely hoppy beer. I'm not sure what sort of English bitter you're used to drinking but I can even imagine a similarity to a beer with most of a pound of high gravity hops. :D :D :D
I will say that some folks are fooled by a properly-poportioned DIPA in that the big maltiness tends to balance out the high IBUs and make it seem less bitter than it is. Still, the hop aroma and should be very present and the combination of CTZ and Simcoe tends to add a lot of big pine and pot notes that should put it in a really different place from any British style brew.

I have a DIPA recipe that's very similar and it's a hugely hoppy beer. I'm not sure what sort of English bitter you're used to drinking but I can even imagine a similarity to a beer with most of a pound of high gravity hops. :D :D :D
I will say that some folks are fooled by a properly-poportioned DIPA in that the big maltiness tends to balance out the high IBUs and make it seem less bitter than it is. Still, the hop aroma and should be very present and the combination of CTZ and Simcoe tends to add a lot of big pine and pot notes that should put it in a really different place from any British style brew.
It's a balanced brew but certainly not malty.

English ale (in the UK) is a different animal to what's exported. You'd be surprised how hoppy cask ale has become. Most brewers use foreign hops whilst the beer retains its balanced English character.

If you are referring to the recipe from July 2009 yes I tried it a couple times. It was horribly bitter. If you follow the recipe there is 3.5 oz of bittering hops for 90 minutes. It didn't taste anything like Pliny.

I've seen similar comments on other forums about the recipe. Not sure where it came from.

That’s an old recipe, I would assume that 3.5 ounces of a 13% AA hop at 90 minute would be over the top bitter, plus if you don’t use very soft water it can get harsh.

More homebrewers lately are shifting to late addition hops. I, for one, often use a pound or more like JA and never add them to the boil, only the whirlpool and dry hopping. It gives you more flavor and aroma because you’re not boiling it away and it is plenty bitter.

Yes, I agree. It is a pretty old recipe and uses older style hops. It uses a flame out hop additions and long dry hopping. No mention of whirlpool. Definitely not a modern day recipe.

I'm sure Vinnie didn't put out a bogus recipe, but rather a starting point and base guideline. I'm certain he had to work with the recipe over many times to get it just right for Russian Rivers set up. Perfecting a recipe to fit your style, system, etc is upon the brewer. Following a recipe to a tee is just setting a base starting point.

I see. To reiterate though I really enjoyed what came of it. Perhaps I'll brew it again one day.

Jmo, Blind Pig is better anyway :D FTW!
These ipa's are going back to the original west coast styles. I actually prefer them over today's. I like more backbone vs overly juicy.

I tried tweeking the recipe with little satisfaction, so I moved on. I agree, I'm not caring for hazy IPAs. I have been brewing Brut IPA lately and really like it.

Yeah, the Brut IPAs seem to get a bad wrap on sites like Beer Advocate, but I really like what I've had.

Back