I am So Done With Cold Crashing in the Fermenter

I also use a mylar balloon when cold crashing. Going to try fermenting in a keg using a blowtie spunding valve and I'll also cold crash in the keg to see how that works out.
Are you filling the mylar with co2? Just curious.

dharmadog, this is my fermenter setup and CO2 capture system. The second photo is the plate I switch to for cold crashing.

There are many ways to get a good beer with no perfect or absolute best method. We all have different systems, preferences, ideas, etc. Whether a brewers methods or suggestions are goofus, doofus, ignoramus, arrogate etc., it’s just a hobby to be enjoyed by all. Keep an open mind and adopt methods that make sense to you given what you have to work with. :)
upload_2019-8-14_13-27-51.jpeg

upload_2019-8-14_13-28-39.jpeg

Thank you, Group W for the photo. You are absolutely right about everyone having their own methods to enjoy the hobby.

The plastic container for reclaiming co2, is it a commercial product or did you diy it? And when you swap out the tri clover plate at the end of fermentation, is the plastic container still attached? Or do you just pressurize and forget it.

I have had bad luck with pressurizing the Brew Bucket with CO2 and I have emptied a full 5 lb tank overnight at only 1 or 2 lbs of pressure. Maybe my Taprite regulator is not stable, or maybe that small spring-loaded relief valve is too sensitive.

Cheers

dharmadog, this is my fermenter setup and CO2 capture system. The second photo is the plate I switch to for cold crashing.

There are many ways to get a good beer with no perfect or absolute best method. We all have different systems, preferences, ideas, etc. Whether a brewers methods or suggestions are goofus, doofus, ignoramus, arrogate etc., it’s just a hobby to be enjoyed by all. Keep an open mind and adopt methods that make sense to you given what you have to work with. :)
View attachment 6882
View attachment 6883
I use the same top of adapter you use when you crash cool, but I put it on from the beginning and just use a corny gas fitting to vent the fermenter, when I crash cool I just add 2-3 pounds of co2 before crashing and check it in 12 hours or so. The nice thing about that method is that when the corny gas fitting is removed, it seals immediately. Nice, fast and easy.

I haven't had yeast out the top so far, even with Wyeast 1007, but with the newer stainless fermenters there is a lot more head space, which is a big help keeping yeast where it belongs.

Thank you, Group W for the photo. You are absolutely right about everyone having their own methods to enjoy the hobby.

The plastic container for reclaiming co2, is it a commercial product or did you diy it? And when you swap out the tri clover plate at the end of fermentation, is the plastic container still attached? Or do you just pressurize and forget it.

I have had bad luck with pressurizing the Brew Bucket with CO2 and I have emptied a full 5 lb tank overnight at only 1 or 2 lbs of pressure. Maybe my Taprite regulator is not stable, or maybe that small spring-loaded relief valve is too sensitive.

Cheers
The container is an apple juice jug. I drilled holes in the cap for the grommets. It took a few tries to get everything tight.

I have two plates, one stays with the plastic jug per the first photo. The other plate (2nd photo) is only for cold crashing. I did the same and lost a lot of gas the first time. Regulators are $hit for accuracy. Just slowly open the gas to the point that a little gas escapes when cracking the PRV. Spray some starsan around the PRV to see if gas is escaping. Then with cold crash complete you are all set up for a pressure transfer to a purged keg. Cheers. :)

I use the same top of adapter you use when you crash cool, but I put it on from the beginning and just use a corny gas fitting to vent the fermenter, when I crash cool I just add 2-3 pounds of co2 before crashing and check it in 12 hours or so. The nice thing about that method is that when the corny gas fitting is removed, it seals immediately. Nice, fast and easy.

I haven't had yeast out the top so far, even with Wyeast 1007, but with the newer stainless fermenters there is a lot more head space, which is a big help keeping yeast where it belongs.
I tried that once and the gas fitting didn’t seal under the low pressure of escaping fermentation CO2. I might give it another try since It never pukes. Or just hook up the CO2 at low pressure during fermentation and let the fermenter off-gas via the PRV.

Then there is opening it up to add dry hops. :mad: I do that on day ~3 so there’s enough CO2 production to push any air out. I keep thinking about making a spunding valve and maybe a CO2 chamber for dropping hop pellets in. It’s always something.:)

I tried that once and the gas fitting didn’t seal under the low pressure of escaping fermentation CO2. I might give it another try since It never pukes. Or just hook up the CO2 at low pressure during fermentation and let the
off-gas via the PRV.

Then there is opening it up to add dry hops. :mad: I do that on day ~3 so there’s enough CO2 production to push any air out. I keep thinking about making a spunding valve and maybe a CO2 chamber for dropping hop pellets in. It’s always something.:)

I found some of the poppet valves/posts don't close very well when the gas adapter is removed. I have been using this one: https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/ballpostgas1932.htm and it works pretty well.

When I dry hop, I have a way of injecting co2 towards the bottom of two of my fermenters. I start by injecting around 2-3 pounds into the fermenter while I'm venting through the gas side, I remove the tri-clover cover and add my hops all in the hopes that I keep a small positive pressure in the fermenter. I keep the co2 going a minute or two after I close it back up. This mixes in the hops and helps to "scrub" oxygen from the fermenter. I have done two so far with this method. I'm drinking one and waiting for the other to finish. The first one is now getting on 3-4 weeks old and I have never had hop aroma/flavor so fresh for this long, it's like sticking your nose in a hop bag. I'm curious to see if the other beer turns out the same.

I cold crash in the fermenter without issue. My 5.25 to 5.5 gallon batches are fermented in 7 gallon Fermonsters with Fermcap-S and I use S type airlocks exclusively. No problem with blow off and no problem with suck back. No ill affects from the air drawn in either.
Agreed. I no problems wifh coldcrashing

My decision was less about suck back and more about why in the hell do I keep moving my 5.5 gallons of heavy beer around just to muck things up again. It was much easier and made more sense for me to rack right to keg and kill 2 birds with one stone. I move my beer once in keg now and done.
Here here! I agree with Thunderwagon. All that movement is just asking for trouble unless it is all done in a closed system. Keg it and drink it!

Back