Brewing Mishap.

Charlie W

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello all and nice to be back. Originally joined Homebrew talk in 2014. Was brewing previous to that though. Wife said are you going to do anything with all your brewing gear? Yes. Made an APA last week and had stuck sparge, or, so I thought. The pickup tube in my 10 gal Igloo cooler from my false bottom collapsed and I think was not sealing due to being dried out. Rookie mistake. Not checking my gear after not brewing for 5 years.
Ended up scooping the mash into a bucket and adding the sparge water and draining it into my brew kettle through a fine strainer. Had a lot of particulate in the wort. Didn't even try for OG due to all the trub . Boiled , did hop additions . Let it sit in primary for 12 days. Seemed to clear up very well and FG 1.012. The OG was 1.052.Guess it's done. Bottled it and it tasted nice , although not what I remember.
Well, I think I will be alright.
Going to brew this weekend , a Blueberry Ale. The only one the wife likes.

Glad to be back in the game. I've forgotten how much fun it is . Glad to be here and ,learn from all you guys.

Didn't even try for OG due to all the trub .
Hydrometers don't much care about suspended gunk. You can usually get a reliable gravity reading even if the sample isn't clear. The sugars are in solution and affects the specific gravity but the particulate is in suspension and won't change anything except maybe how difficult it is to read the scale on the hydrometer.

Hydrometers don't much care about suspended gunk. You can usually get a reliable gravity reading even if the sample isn't clear. The sugars are in solution and affects the specific gravity but the particulate is in suspension and won't change anything except maybe how difficult it is to read the scale on the hydrometer.

JA, you're probably right. Just saw all the grain in the hydrometer tube and moved on. It cleared up nicely after 12 days and bottled . Will let everyone know how it turned out.

Reactions: J A
Well, I just tried the APA Mishap beer! Not bad at all, I think it attenuated a little more due to the mucking about I had to do during that brew session. A little drier, a hint of alcohol warmth and a little hoppier than I remember. Cleared up very nicely and nice copper color. Very drinkable. I was looking for a little maltier but not bad. Now that I have my mashtun fixed will brew it again.
The ale for the Blueberry Ale is in the primary still for awhile and then onto 5 lbs of frozen Blueberries.
I've forgotten how much fun brewing is. Will probably brew the APA again in 2 weeks. Purchased a 55lb bag of Great Northern Premium 2 row. Thinking of getting a sack of Maris Otter as well.
Just wanted to give an update. All the best, Charlie.

Awesome stuff Charlie what do they say old habits die hard!

I'd say that too if you gave me free beer:p.
Good work.
I bet you say that to all the girls! LOL.
Actually after more time in the fridge , it has turned out very nice. Racking the ale onto the blueberries tomorrow and we will see. love your sense of humor trialben. Keep it up. All the best , Charlie.

Back