SMaSH Nugget IPA

Archibald

Trial Member
Reaction score
Looking at doing another SMaSH so I can learn more about what the various malts and hops do to a beer. Last time I used Citra and Otter and it worked out very well. This time I was thinking of using Nugget hops and doing 2.5oz pellets at 60min, 1.5oz at 30min and 2.0oz at 5min, followed by 2oz at 5 days. Again using Otter to keep the malts consistent so this will be a hops knowledge endeavor for me.

Opinions on Nugget hops? And/or my plans to add them?

That could end up very bitter. Depends on the aa% but you might want to lower the 60 minutes addition. Otherwise should be like nugget nectar from troegs

Looking at doing another SMaSH so I can learn more about what the various malts and hops do to a beer. Last time I used Citra and Otter and it worked out very well. This time I was thinking of using Nugget hops and doing 2.5oz pellets at 60min, 1.5oz at 30min and 2.0oz at 5min, followed by 2oz at 5 days. Again using Otter to keep the malts consistent so this will be a hops knowledge endeavor for me.

Opinions on Nugget hops? And/or my plans to add them?
I didnt run the numbers but thats basicly an English IPA and 50 to 70 Ibu's balances out well.
That could end up very bitter. Depends on the aa% but you might want to lower the 60 minutes addition. Otherwise should be like nugget nectar from troegs
Yup 30 to 50 from full boil bitter then the rest for aroma or 30min additions.
By the way keep lots of notes or you will have to perform the exbeeriment again later. And again and again:D

Nugget is a pretty bold, traditional NW style hop. Lots of pine and spice with rich woody notes and maybe dark fruit in the aroma. I agree about the potential harsh bitterness. Just minimize your 60 minute addition so you're not getting any more than about a quarter or maybe a third of your total IBUs at 60.
I like to use Nugget in an Amber Ale along with Cascade but I could totally see a smash for an IPA lover's beer. Don't skimp on the gravity and keep the mash temp up. You'll want plenty of malt flavor and body to balance the hops. If it was me, I'd go for the Double. ;)

Back