if i have a boil over my wife will literally kill me

Lord Callahad

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers, i'm from Ireland and live in England now. doing my first brew this weekend (malt extract Zombie Dust hopefully). will keep you posted!
next up is a stout so i'll be on the look out for recipes if you can point me in the right direction!

cheers

So, if you have a boil over, we can consider it a message from the beyond? Welcome to the forum!

Hello fellow brewers, i'm from Ireland and live in England now. doing my first brew this weekend (malt extract Zombie Dust hopefully). will keep you posted!
next up is a stout so i'll be on the look out for recipes if you can point me in the right direction!

cheers
Welcome good luck with no boil overs. You know you could fill 3/4 wait till hot break is over then add rest of volume.

We're doing a brewers friend stout maybe you could get in on that next? It's in the BF community brew thread.

Welcome good luck with no boil overs. You know you could fill 3/4 wait till hot break is over then add rest of volume.

We're doing a brewers friend stout maybe you could get in on that next? It's in the BF community brew thread.

Thanks! I actually went a bit OTT and bought a 10 gallon pot to do 4 gallon batches (i think my stove doesn't get 6 gallon to the boil which seems to be the standard volume). so i'm hoping that gives me plenty of headroom to avoid a boilover, and a weekend of scrubbing caramelised sugar off my wife's cooker :/

i like the sound of the community brew! may i ask how that works? does everyone do their own recipe or how do you do it?

Welcome to the site. Coincidentally, I spent 2 1/2 weeks touring Ireland a couple of months back. Tried some of the craft brews we found in our travels and have my first iteration of my Galway Hooker clone fermenting right now.

antifoam agent saved me last brew, it's cheap here not sure about there

m with Ozarks. I use Fermcap-S in my starters and fermenters and it works well. The only reason I don't use it in the boiler is that I have plenty of volume capacity.

Thanks! I actually went a bit OTT and bought a 10 gallon pot to do 4 gallon batches (i think my stove doesn't get 6 gallon to the boil which seems to be the standard volume). so i'm hoping that gives me plenty of headroom to avoid a boilover, and a weekend of scrubbing caramelised sugar off my wife's cooker :/

i like the sound of the community brew! may i ask how that works? does everyone do their own recipe or how do you do it?
Na I don't think so it's relatively new Idea that a brewer on here starting suggesting a sort of collaboration brewers friend recipe creation using recipie imputs from the forum community members. Once a style recipie ect is nailed down that becomes the "monthly or quarterly collabotated recipie".
Here's the thread https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/bf-community-recipe.11822/unread

A very simple solution to the problem of boiling over is to just skim as you're about to reach the boiling point. I always do that, and I can, if I want to, fill my kettle to the brim. Bonus: You get rid of a lot of junk which would have ended up as part of the trub. Less trub = a happier life, and no boil over = a happier wife;). You can't beat it!

I stand at the ready with a water spray bottle. I have only needed it once, and a couple of squirts did the trick.

To prevent boil overs, I have seen people lay a wooden spoon across the top of the kettle. For the life of me I don't understand how that works (disrupts the bubbles or some hocus pocus) so I don't recommend it, but some people believe in it.

Different people use different methods that work for them. Ultimately, the answer is to upgrade to equipment that is able to handle the job. Until then, I'd practice sleeping with one eye open just in case :)

To prevent boil overs, I have seen people lay a wooden spoon across the top of the kettle. For the life of me I don't understand how that works (disrupts the bubbles or some hocus pocus) so I don't recommend it, but some people believe in it.

In the wooden spoon we trust! An over sized pot helps too! Welcome to the site!

Welcome aboard BF!

I stand at the ready with a water spray bottle. I have only needed it once, and a couple of squirts did the trick.

(Hint: It doesn't)

One way that does work is once the foam starts to form, turn off the heat and wait a few minutes for the hot break to do it's thing, then resume your boil. Oh, and bigger pots.

Back