whats your favorate all around hop

Ozarks Mountain Brewery

Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Reaction score
what is the most used hop in your brewing experience, not the fav finishing hop but the most hop used over and over again.

I have to go with Centennial, I really like the flavor, the perfect bitterness and can use it anywhere in my brew schedule from start to finish, you can even dry/keg hop with it and I do quite a bit

I would say Centennial #1 for the same reasons for an all around do-all. However... I have been using Northern Brewer a lot lately and really enjoy the spicy complexity it brings. Hmm,I must do more testing. :lol:

Hallertau, but I love brewing German styles.

Simcoe, Centennial and Cascade are my top three according to brewing report (usage). 50% of what of brewed since I started has been APAs and IPAs, so seems reasonable. Really like Simcoe and Centennial.

Cascade is my #1. However, I have an IPA aging now made with Pacific Jade. The taste I had when i racked it to secondary may make it a new #1.

babar79 said:
Cascade is my #1. However, I have an IPA aging now made with Pacific Jade. The taste I had when i racked it to secondary may make it a new #1.
Have a question about the Pacific Jade hop. I was wondering, because it has high alpha acids, if you used it as both a bittering and flavor?

My most used hops are magnum for bittering and cascades for flavor and aroma. I also use a fair amout of centennial.

It is rather like asking what's your favorite tool. I might love my wrench but if I'm driving a nail, I'll definitely favor a hammer....

I've probably used cascade the most bit I've started using mosaic quite a bit recently.

LOL with the tool talk, but I kind of agree, it depends.

However, with the styles I normally brew, I gravitate towards East Kent Goldings. I like the balance between the aroma and the bitter, it just seems well balanced to me.

I don't know if you would call it my favorite, but I do tend to use EKG a lot. Seems to work well for my English beers.

I would say my all time favorite hop is Columbus.
However, I usually pair it up with Willamette being my late hop addition.

Cascade is my favorite by now, I had only great results with it.

Back