Convince Me to stay

chessking

Trial Member
Reaction score
Ive got twelve days left on my BF account, and I am contemplating my next move. I know a year is only 10 bucks, so it not a money thing, and I'm not sure what it is exactly that gives me pause, only that I'm not convinced. I started coming to this site for the blog, before all the recent additions, and that now it seems, is defunct. I have been building my own recipes for decades now, so the recipe builder is not necessary for my brewing survival, it only makes it easier to calculate the numbers, and make minor changes. I'll do fine without it. And I know that if I want Nosybear's recipe for something, all have to do is ask. I have never used the "Brew" feature, or the shopping list or any of the other fine features offered, and have no plans to change my process. I won't need any of the phone apps, as I am old and my phone has a cord and no screen anyway. (I got one in the basement with a rotary dial. For you youngsters, that's a metal disc with holes spaced around the perimeter, spun for the number entry instead of buttons). I calculate a recipe on the builder only until it is what I want, then I write it out by hand and keep it as a hard copy in my many binders. I can look up beers I made years ago, with accurate brewing notes and tasting notes and reminisce of beer long past. I would never be a lifetime member in any case, as I would need approx. 10 years of use just to break even, and I'm not certain I'll live that long.
I do enjoy some of the forum stuff and enjoy conversing with you guys, but I may be able to do that anyway without a membership. With the addition of some new adds (and more to come I'm sure) what use is a membership. Please understand I'm not complaining about that here, The owners have a right to do as they please. I am a capitalist after all.
I guess I'm just wondering what you guys think, especially as you are now aware of my position and my simple needs. I am addressing this to the members, not our benevolent overlords. Only the guys and gals that contribute and are simple home brewers like me.
Comments?
Or should I just shut up and go away.

Chess, here's one: You're a knowledgeable voice and I know your beer is damned good. Okay, that was two.

Put another way, you are one of the voices in the threads I value immensely. I know you know what you're talking about because I have tasted the results and aside from my own (or better put, in addition to my own), yours is the beer I want to drink at homebrew night. In terms of value, the tools here are very good and easy to use, worth vastly more than $10 per year. Yes, Larry and Kai seem to have vanished but there are others here who can answer questions and provide valuable opinions. So there, my reasons for you to stay.

I really think you should stay, we love your input on the forum and all I can say is Larry is still on every other day and is still a life time member so that's who your really looking for right ;) lol... blog post will come soon if everything works the way we are talking about so nothing lost except Larry maybe some convincing might change his mind and throw some communication are way ;)

As a relatively new brewer, I find the calculators and builders to be extremely useful. However, I do see your point that it may not be essential to your brewing. While I do enjoy the forums and people in them, it is a little disappointing to always see the same 6-7 names and not much else.

I feel like it's less the new owners and more of the attitude of the users towards them. Other than adding new features, they don't need to do much. It is us, the users, the brewers, that need to bring a little life into the site. But hey, maybe we're the only ones that brew year round and the others will start to come out of the wood work with the coming spring.

As for your dilemma on whether or not to stay, all I can say is go where the beer takes you. You can always lurk around as a trial user for a while and come back when you're ready. Either way, good luck and happy brewing.

The decision you put before the brewers is your own. I get a chuckle from the way you talk about your notes. This is quite similar to the way I brew but I do print out the recipe then write the notes on this print out and my own designed brew day sheet. They are filling a 3 ring binder which will be full soon.
I started brewing in 2010 with the encouragement from a close family friend who even owned his own microbrewery for quite a few years and his longtime friend my father. The knowledge that came from him didn't come from brew calculators. Nor does the knowledge you bring.
I see the lack of overall use of the forum but there are LOTS of short term brewers that do frequent this site on occasion and if some of them do continue to brew because of your input isn't that alone enough reason to stick around awhile?

If you truly do enjoy the site and conversing with all us, I say spend the 10 dollars and think of it as an investment in the site. After all without some type of revenue the site would go belly up and our community here at Brewer's Friend would quickly be forgotten. So I say don't spend 10 dollars for the features, invest 10 dollars in the site and enjoy the features along with the good company.

Well ...
You are one of a few who's advice, direction, comments, suggestions is recognized as coming from someone with experience. Sure, you can post in the forum without being a paying member, but you're profile would be tagged "trial member" rather than "premium member"... so the newbies that come here my not realize your actual status.

Your post has inspired me by the way: Made me realize my own laziness in a way - I made my first beer in October, 2012 and I've used this sight since brew code 001. Every note, every record, every recipe and the result (I'm not too good with keeping paper files, so this is perfect). While I get the generalities of how the calculations behind the scenes work, I've haven't actually learned it in detail and calculated with pen and paper. (I don't actually have a corded phone anymore, but I'm not a youngster either, so I should know better). Thanks to this site, I've had it easy. Thanks to that post, I've realized I missed something important in the process.

I don't post here often, but have been a member for a few years. I do like the tools but don't need them, I have hand written notes and recipes in a binder from about 6 years ago to date. I own a dumb phone, and proud of it.
I sure miss Larry's blog entries, I always looked forward to them.
What I do like is the smaller forum that isn't filled with (know it alls) rushing to add misinformation before the more knowledgable get a chance to give the correct info.

I would have to say stay, if nothing else, to help keep this site alive. Who knows, maybe it will improve (although it is pretty good in my opinion). I feel my membership money may help keep the site alive and can help new brewers receive the knowledge and wisdom from the members of this site.

Just my 2 cents

I am here, and a member, primarily for the brew calculator(s) / recipe feature, which is well worth the $10 a year for me. I still print out every recipe, twice (planned + actual result), and add all of my own hand written brewing notes (I am not "old"...yet, but still missed the whole smart phone curve).
That being said...
It is actually very cool to belong to a relatively small and part experienced knowledgeable, part n00b, community for sharing experience and information.
I know I am one of the more boring members, only brewing German style IPAs, but it is still nice to have the other members to bounce ideas / problems of. :)

chessking said:
Comments?
Or should I just shut up and go away.

It appears that he has shut up and gone away.

Chessking, you still with us?

I talked with him a couple weeks ago, he's decided not to renew his membership.

when I started brewing I posted (and still do) questions for everyone to see and got some really great answers from all you Brew guys.
Not sure If I would be drinking suitable beer if it wasn't for Great brewers like you.
For all the newbies and old brewers we need your advice.
Stay!!!

Darn..I always forget to go to page 2 and am late again.

Back