Brewing with frozen fruit and Vanilla beans

Over The Cliff Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, when is the optimal time to add these ingredients, late boil, whirlpool, in the fermenter etc? I'm probably going to do something crazy with these ingredients soon.

do you do anything with the fruit besides thaw and blend them? I read that once the fruit is frozen, it kills off any bacteria.

do you do anything with the fruit besides thaw and blend them? I read that once the fruit is frozen, it kills off any bacteria.
Now I'm one brew into testing this freezing theory. I must say in this one test my current ginger Tumeric beer I pealed the roots first then sat them in sanitizer then poured off sanitizer then put them in the freezer.

Then after freezing a day or two I put the frozen fruit in a cleaned (sodium percarbonate) boiled thermomix and wizzed up the fruit and planned that in post fermentation.

Just putting it out there by no means take this as a ok you can use frozen pre packaged fruit in your beer without any "risk of infection".

Now I'm one brew into testing this freezing theory. I must say in this one test my current ginger Tumeric beer I pealed the roots first then sat them in sanitizer then poured off sanitizer then put them in the freezer.

Then after freezing a day or two I put the frozen fruit in a cleaned (sodium percarbonate) boiled thermomix and wizzed up the fruit and planned that in post fermentation.

Just putting it out there by no means take this as a ok you can use frozen pre packaged fruit in your beer without any "risk of infection".
It's a risk. It won't happen every time. When it does though, the results can be spectacular: Strawberry wheat beer shot across the entire kitchen....

Back