Pump and Plumbing Recommendations

Vesparados

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have been sorting out my brewing layout and have come to the conclusion that lifting five to six gallons of hot liquids for gravity feed is just not that smart. So if anyone has recommendations for pumps and fittings they would be appreciated. Camlock versus Quick Disconnect pros and cons, etc. Thanks.

Here's a reasonably priced one that will do nicely for a small set up. :
https://www.amazon.com/YaeBrew-YBP-...ocphy=9028313&hvtargid=pla-439455578319&psc=1
I think I have one size bigger but it's not substantially different...this one, I'm pretty sure:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chugger-Pu...h=item4d8a9743b0:g:GZ0AAOSwh1paOFuq:rk:3:pf:0
I've gotten by with hose clamps and silicon 1/2" silicon hose but given my current process, I have to change over a few fittings to cam-locks. I'd advise the cam-locks over the quick disconnects for hot liquid but maybe someone has good experience with the regular QDs.

I have the chugger and camlocks, I think the chugger is too loud, I wish I had bought a quieter one, I prefer camlocks myself, I think the
MKII is a good one but only with the stainless head, I really like the riptide but it's pricey

I have been sorting out my brewing layout and have come to the conclusion that lifting five to six gallons of hot liquids for gravity feed is just not that smart. So if anyone has recommendations for pumps and fittings they would be appreciated. Camlock versus Quick Disconnect pros and cons, etc. Thanks.

I have a pumped that was used twice. Once to try it out with cold water on my setup, and once for a brew session, albeit only half way through the brew session before I removed hoses and the pump from the setup as I had nothing but cavitation problems. Nothing wrong with the pump, rather you need to mount them in a specific way. Ultimately I decided against having a pump in my setup. If you’re interested, let me know and I can sell you mine. And I have plenty of quick disconnects that were only used when the pump was being used, so they are practically brand new.

I've been using this pump for about 1 1/2 years now with great results:
https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Mark-II-25-Watt-Wort-Pump-P4028.aspx
I knocked it off the shelf and broke the Xarec plastic (very similar to Polysulphone) head it came with and replaced with a SS head.
I have since mounted directly to the outlet of my Kettle and use it for recirculation while whirlpooling and chilling. Will also be using it for transfers with a new system I'm working on.

Pump1.jpg
Recirc..jpg

Bob got me onto the same Pump after.mucking around with the little brown pumps 12v solar jobbies. I've done 4 brews now and can't fault it even after hooking it up backwards at the start of a brew day:confused: was wondering why it wasn't recirculating LOL! I use camlock fitting as that was my only option they seem like a goer but once locked in you can't swivel the pipe not sure if quick disconnects allow this?
20190205_145948.jpg

Chugger has the Poly head pump for sale and free shipping for 65 bucks I picked one up and just used barbed NPT fittings and hose clamps. Im tring to figure out if i should change the teflon wrap on the fittings every time or just wait till i see a leak.

Bob got me onto the same Pump after.mucking around with the little brown pumps 12v solar jobbies. I've done 4 brews now and can't fault it even after hooking it up backwards at the start of a brew day:confused: was wondering why it wasn't recirculating LOL! I use camlock fitting as that was my only option they seem like a goer but once locked in you can't swivel the pipe not sure if quick disconnects allow this? View attachment 5085

You can swivel the QDs, but they're quite a bit more expensive. Also, with the QDs you can move the O ring out of position if you're not careful connecting them. Probably would have gone with camlocks if I had shopped a bit more.

One things with the camlock female fittings is you gotta watch that silicon washer don't fall out on you. When I hang me hoses up I find sometimes they have a habit of falling out.

@Shepington id wait till I see a leak.

Good too know for future reference. I guess most products have their ins and outs.

Bob got me onto the same Pump after.mucking around with the little brown pumps 12v solar jobbies. I've done 4 brews now and can't fault it even after hooking it up backwards at the start of a brew day:confused: was wondering why it wasn't recirculating LOL! I use camlock fitting as that was my only option they seem like a goer but once locked in you can't swivel the pipe not sure if quick disconnects allow this? View attachment 5085
Good move adding a ball valve on pump outlet, I have 4 on my system since I still have to juggle hoses around

The o-rings never even occurred to me. I use camlocks all over the place. I like the idea of the recirc picture, I've been trying to figure out how to use the chugger pump I just got. (I was a wee bit drunk and it looked cool)

Hey Mase! I noted your comments in a thread earlier this year on pump recommendations and was wondering what your reasoning for foregoing the pump altogether was?

Ultimately I decided against having a pump in my setup.

I'm mid build on a new rig where I'm using a cheapo 12 volt pump to get water from the kettle to a HLT on top, then I am counting on gravity to do the rest.

What's your advice guy?

Last edited:
As you know, everyone’s brewing technique is different. We brew in our detached garage/barn, then carry the boil kettle full of wort to our basement (150’ away), then chill wort and transfer to fermenter, Pitch yeast and ferment in the basement. And since it’s two of us, we clean as we go. And by the time I have the yeast pitched and finalize my notes, my wife has finished drying the equipment and 5 minutes later everything is put away and brew day is done.Adding pumps would add another cleaning element to a well oiled technique.

Somewhere around our 5th brew, I added the pump to the system. Cavitation, extension cords, more cleaning didn’t improve brew day. Ultimately, after two brewdays with the pump, the pump is now in storage. As time and technique change, it may find it’s way back into the system, but I doubt it.

I have had a several brew sessions with my Riptide pump. I bought quick disconnects on sale and made up hoses specific for transfers. I change hoses and don't move the pump or vessels. I absolutely hated the first session with the pump, cavitation, leaks, and a hidden hole in a hose that rendered the pump useless. I almost marked it up to a learning moment and was going to go back to lifting and toting. The next session worked with a lot less drama and by my third session, I had made some additions that made cleaning easier. It took a while but I like my single pump system now.

I have had a several brew sessions with my Riptide pump. I bought quick disconnects on sale and made up hoses specific for transfers. I change hoses and don't move the pump or vessels. I absolutely hated the first session with the pump, cavitation, leaks, and a hidden hole in a hose that rendered the pump useless. I almost marked it up to a learning moment and was going to go back to lifting and toting. The next session worked with a lot less drama and by my third session, I had made some additions that made cleaning easier. It took a while but I like my single pump system now.

Totally agree.......

Back