How often do you brew?

Krimbos

Trial Member
Reaction score
Straight up question

I try for once a month. My DASHBOARD counter says 16 brew sessions since Jan 13

I try to brew every weekend. I have north of 40 brews logged in the past year. Not all 5 gallon batches though.

I usually try for evey other week, unless the lagers have come out of the fridge. Then I'll do a "lagerthon", two brews in a weekend to fill the fridge back up. If I have an idea to try, I may do a small extract batch during the week, for example, a one or three gallon batch.

this is not a direct answer but I brew when I tap a keg meaning when one is ready to drink, time to create another so it can age

Similar to Ozarks, I normally will brew when I have an empty vessel. I just finished off a Vienna Lager I kegged in June, so the pipeline is deep. With 9 kegs and two carboys, It can be many months from grain to glass. However, At the moment I have been dealing with some issues that prevent me from brewing. I have 3 empty kegs, so when I'm back in the game I will brew every weekend until the pipeline is back up and full.
My last beer was brewed the middle of January. It is a Bud clone named Markwiser. Ive had it lagering for a month, and will keg it today, hopefully have it ready for the Brew Hut homebrewers nite.

Between beer, cider and now wine, I'm probably making something every other week or so.

Twice a month pretty much, but will slow a bit when golf season comes.

I try for about once a month. I just wish I had an extra keg so I can brew beer and have a Keg ready for it anytime I need it, and just change out the old keg for the new. As of now I try to get a brew done in time to fill up the empty keg. Corning Kegs have gone up a lot in the past year, I just cant afford over $80 for one keg anymore.
This summer I want to brew more so I can get some in bottles to share with friends. Bottles are looking better , they are getting cheaper then a keg.

Russ said:
I try for about once a month. I just wish I had an extra keg so I can brew beer and have a Keg ready for it anytime I need it, and just change out the old keg for the new. As of now I try to get a brew done in time to fill up the empty keg. Corning Kegs have gone up a lot in the past year, I just cant afford over $80 for one keg anymore.
This summer I want to brew more so I can get some in bottles to share with friends. Bottles are looking better , they are getting cheaper then a keg.

Check out Tom. Ive bought from him and his kegs are clean. He also knows his stuff.

http://www.tomsbrewshop.com/

Also Home brew finds. They sort of point you to deals, then its up to you. I haven't bought kegs through them, but the price is right. Only thing is you dont know what shape there in until you get them.

http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2012/10/ba ... sed-5.html

I have bought some kegs from More Beer in the past, but your right the price has gone up.

I don't brew as much for myself as I used to. Getting my brewing license and brewing at the shop consumes a lot of time.
I love to experiment and I'm currently starting a series of super light session ales. I brewed one Thursday that only had 5.75# of grain in it and 1 hop. It should finish @ 3.75% abv.
As much as I brew, I still love the 1-offs to further develop as a brewer and understand more of the individual ingredients.
Brian

About every 3 weeks. I brewed 10 gallons so I get to bottle half and put them in a dark corner of my basement. I brew around my wife's work schedule, as in when she is at work.

We try for every other wknd but that varies according to keg availability. I mash and boil and wife takes readings and keeps records. Works out great. We have 6 kegs 4 glass carboys and 4 buckets for primary. Will back off a little as fishing season comes around.

My favorite brew is the octoberfest that gets brewed early and sits around all summer lagering in carboy's waiting for kegging.

FOrgot to include typical batch size (and # of kids - I am sure there is a direct correlation!)

I now shoot for 6 gal (7 gal boil in 8 gal pot))

Size varies as to what's brewing. :)
Small beer big batch10-12gal/ big beer small batch 5-7gal
2kids/6grandkids/2boats/1car/2 trucks....

5 gallon batches every 3-4 weeks. I have a mini-fridge as a fermentation chamber and it only fits one fermenter.

I try to do 1 a month. But I also have 3 kids under 4....So time is hard to find. I'm going to start my oatmeal stout tonight after everyone goes to bed. Brewing outside in the dark is the best. :lol:

bilhelm96 said:
I have a mini-fridge as a fermentation chamber and it only fits one fermenter.
Ditto here. I brew once every 4 weeks. Gives me 3 weeks in the fermenter and less than a week of storage for any washed yeast.

Krimbos said:
FOrgot to include typical batch size (and # of kids - I am sure there is a direct correlation!)

I now shoot for 6 gal (7 gal boil in 8 gal pot))
MrBIP said:
Twice a month pretty much, but will slow a bit when golf season comes.

Catching up after computer repair...

5.5 gallons seems to work, I can boil 7 - 7.5 safely in 9 gallon pot, by the time I lose volume from trub, etc. I can get 50-54 bottles. ... 2 boys, adult age, one of drinking age and leaving for boot camp next week.

Back