Lack in hop aroma, advice desperately needed!

Bennyboyca

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I brew with a Grainfather and find the equipment very good, however, I’ve now made 3 different APA’s and they have all lacked in hop aroma (not in hop bitterness/ taste). I’m just very disappointed after putting the work in and spending the money. Please could anyone give me any general advice on hops/ additions/ times to add hops to boost that aroma?

Thanks,
Ben.

Attachments

• 6C7B6353-0C7C-4DF8-B9E8-BC5140628663.png
    6C7B6353-0C7C-4DF8-B9E8-BC5140628663.png
    390.2 KB · Views: 152
Ok, that's not the cause then.
Has it just been these last three beers that lacked? Were the ones before those ok? Did you do anything different with those batches? Did you do any water adjustments?

If its fine until post packaging. Look at oxidation.

Ok, that's not the cause then.
Has it just been these last three beers that lacked? Were the ones before those ok? Did you do anything different with those batches? Did you do any water adjustments?

No not particularly, I’m just wondering if I need to add more hops earlier or later to boost the aroma?

later, definitely later!
Not sure what your batch size is, but at 20ish liters, you could definitely try doubling your late and/or dry additions....
(just my opinion, ymmv)

Yep use more late addition hops and be careful when transferring to keg that o2 is kept to a minimum.

Don't be afraid to add more hops, later is always better for aroma and flavor. I often use 8 ounces (220 grams) or more in my APA., most in a 175F whirlpool, save 3 ounces for dry hopping (2-3 days). Watch for oxygen ingress, it will destroy hop flavor and aroma, plus make the bittering harsh.

If you use the BF calculator you can use the whirlpool option on the hop section and set the the utilization to 3% to get the right bittering. You will pick up a lot of bitterness in the whirlpool. You can in fact get all the bitterness from the whirlpool, saving most of the flavor and aroma from boiling off.

Back