Slow/No carbonation

dave althouse

Trial Member
Reaction score
Tried the first bottle of my latest batch and I have no carbonation. This is the second attempt with this recipe and the first was fine. The only condition that may be different is temperature, summer time vs winter. I store the bottles on a shelf in the basement stair area while they condition, been there 2 weeks and the temp is bout 50. any thoughts

dave a

Look at the yeast temp range your using, might need warmer temps and is so will still ferment after they warm up but will take another 2 weeks

2 weeks is normally just long enough for US-05 to carb up a brew for me at temps between 70-80F. Bring them up to room temp and give another 2 weeks.

OK then, seems with every answer I have another question. I have not brewed any lagers because I don't have any way to maintain the lower temp, and the light goes on, the reason my ale yeast isn't carbonating my last brew is, wait for it, my basement temps are below 60. I am going to brew a goose Island 312 clone next, what happens if I change the yeast from a ale to lager, will I get the same taste. Have I just invented next best beer ever. Is experimentation a good thing. Appreciate all feedback

davea

for ale yeast the lower the temp the more chances for yeast to fall asleep and stop fermenting

all I can say is every yeast has a different temperature range for optimal fermentation, meaning the best temp to not put off wild flavors and or slow the fermentation down, there are countless ale yeast and lager yeasts, almost every one has a slight different preferred temp range

so what ever yeast you use, look at the specs in the yeast section of the recipe editor for the best temp range

Safale US-05
Optimum Temp: 59 - 75 F
Flocculation: Medium
Avg Attenuation: 72%
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

dave althouse said:
.... what happens if I change the yeast from a ale to lager, will I get the same taste.
davea

Short answer is no, each yeast creates it own unique flavor profile. Will you or I be able to tell the difference, depends on how different the yeast strains are.

Can you use lager yeast in the low 60s? Sure plenty of people have with decent results, but you will not end up with what is considered "correct" for a lager, and there is likely an ale yeast better suited for the job. US-05 and WLP-001 are two that come to mind for lower temps.

Back