When to add raspberries?

Reaction score
Got a wheat beer brewing, been fermenting for a week and planned on adding 2lb of raspberries tomorrow, should I move it to secondary or just drop the fruit in a muslin bag and put it in primary? This is a 5 gal batch.

Got a wheat beer brewing, been fermenting for a week and planned on adding 2lb of raspberries tomorrow, should I move it to secondary or just drop the fruit in a muslin bag and put it in primary? This is a 5 gal batch.
Add add when fermentation is dropping off Into primary make sure your fruit and bag is sanitary and all should be good I recon.

The main reason to use a secondary for fruit is if you're going to make more mess than you want in your primary fermenter. My primary is as easy to clean as any other fermenter so I don't bother. Only when I'm splitting the batch so that some gets the fruit and the rest doesn't.

I brewed a Raspberry Blonde on Sunday and will be adding 3lbs of raspberry purée this morning (day 3 of fermentation). As Trialben stated above, you want to add it when primary fermentation nears completion.

Update: Just added the Raspberry Purée.

672B58D3-B3AC-4DE8-B70A-9B2820CF75B1.jpeg

Last edited:
As far as sanitation, would just soaking them in 170 degree water work?
Mash all the berries up first to make the berries more of a juice, then heat them to 170 (F) for 10-15 minutes, cover and cool to wort/beer temp, then toss’em in.

Mash all the berries up first to make the berries more of a juice, then heat them to 170 (F) for 10-15 minutes, cover and cool to wort/beer temp, then toss’em in.
Cool thanks, as far as fermenting, it has really quieted down to almoat no bubbles after about 4 days, will it pick back up after I add berries?

It should pick right back up. Keep us posted on how it turns out.

No aeration after yeast Pitch. Leads to oxidizing.

Nothing yet, hope it picks up soon. The beer looked and smelled awesome before i put in the berries.

If you have a temp controlled fermentation, and you have room to raise the temperature, bump up the temp a degree or two

Although raspberries have some sugar in them, they have a lot of water in them as well. In effect, the water dilutes the beer, but the sugar in the raspberries raises the ABV back to the ABV prior to adding them. The raspberries may gain you a couple gravity extra gravity points (.002 +/-). It may have already fermented the raspberry sugars overnight and you didn’t even notice. If you pulled a Hydrometer sample before adding them, and compare that to a gravity sample now, you may find that it is done fermenting the raspberry sugars. And if you were adding 2 lbs of raspberries to a 5 gallon batch, you might not see a lot of activity, or if you do, it won’t last long due to the relatively small amount of sugar the raspberries provided.

So... pull a Hydrometer sample tomorrow and see where it’s at. And taste it as well. I’m pretty sure you’ll be happy.

Berries went in on wed and I pulled a sample this morning (Friday). Beer looks great, smelled great and tasted great. Came out to about 4.5%abv, just below what I was shooting for. I left everything in the fermenting bucket and put it in my keezer until I can keg it today or tomorrow.

Back