Stir-Plate Issue

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I finally got a stir plate, my first starter in the flask is spinning away in the kitchen.... Then it hit me. How do you get that little stir bar out of the yeast when you're decanting or pitching it?

Yes, guys, that's a serious question....

Just hold a magnet to the bottom when you pour.

Chessking is correct, all the commercial stir plates come with a retaining magnet. Any decent strong magnet will do though. To check it, just hold the magnets together on the wall of the flask, and slide the one you're holding up the side of the flask. They should hold onto each other allowing you to pour out your starter and retain the magnets.
Brian

I ordered a few rare earth magnets from Amazon. Pretty strong little magnets. Work great.

And I was thinking strainers. Thanks, guys!

I got someone else to solve the problem for me, didn't I? :lol:

Yep, I earned that one....

At least once in your brewing "career" you will, in the heat of pitching your yeast, toss the stir bar into your fermenter. Plan ahead -- buy a second stir bar.

lol or 2 or 3, don't forget the sink or stool, dumped 2 by accident cleaning the flask out

PZ said:
At least once in your brewing "career" you will, in the heat of pitching your yeast, toss the stir bar into your fermenter. Plan ahead -- buy a second stir bar.

That's were the rare earth magnet comes into play. It is lots of fun trying to walk your stir bar up the side and out of the carboy. :D

Hard drive aka rare earth magnets work great! Though I got 2 from the get go, so I almost plan on dropping it into ferrmentor. :lol:

Right now it's just fun watching my 1 qt starter of Cream Ale Yeast trying to crawl out of the 2l Ehrlenmeyer.

The frustrating part is when you inevitably dump your magnet in the fermentor and then a couple weeks later, after reminding yourself numerous times to retrieve it,you dump it down the toilet with the trub! :x
Brian

Back