Gaining 20 points in 60 min boil?

Jibba0202

Trial Member
Reaction score
As this heading states, how is this even possible? Where could i have gone worng in the design?

Cheers.

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-06-18 223633.jpg
    Annotation 2019-06-18 223633.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 213
Two things I'm thinking of; your boil off rate and any boil/post boil additions ... sugar?

What is the boil off rate in your equipment profile.

Boil off is 4L hour. No sugar additions, or any post boil additions of any fermentables.

Does that calculation include losses. trub, dead space etc?

Equipment profile.

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-06-18 230352.jpg
    Annotation 2019-06-18 230352.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 179
Possibly your preboil gravity reading wasn't correct because even though your water requirements in your profile are a bit high you got 20 points on your pre boil reading with your post boil reading?

As Yooper pointed at your probably finishing with more wort than needed a bit more over 21lt for final volume.

No, what I meant was the the calculation is for a much larger batch- using 34.5 liters. If the boil volume is changed appropriately then the figures should match. I don't think using 34.5 liters of water in mash and sparge would be typical at all in a 21L batch and that's why the OG is predicted to be so low.

No, what I meant was the the calculation is for a much larger batch- using 34.5 liters. If the boil volume is changed appropriately then the figures should match. I don't think using 34.5 liters of water in mash and sparge would be typical at all in a 21L batch and that's why the OG is predicted to be so low.
Yeah so the brewer is brewing a bigger batch than 21lt .
My total water requirements for a 21 lt batch come in around 27-28lt so yes 35lt is a bit excessive. Most likely jibba hasn't dialed in his system profile yet or as your saying is brewing bigger batch sizes.

Yeah, some days we feel like Click and Clack.... I miss those guys! (cultural reference, likely will not be understood out of the US)

Yeah, some days we feel like Click and Clack.... I miss those guys! (cultural reference, likely will not be understood out of the US)
Those two were hilarious.

Thanks for the reply's so far. Ill just add the other few brews i have done with BF have hit the number almost spot on!

This is where i have got the water requirements from.

Attachments

• water.JPG
    water.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 193
Yeah I googled it well well well mechanics turned radio hoasts ha!
MIT engineers turned mechanics turned radio hosts. These guys were wicked smart and funny.

Thanks for the reply's so far. Ill just add the other few brews i have done with BF have hit the number almost spot on!

This is where i have got the water requirements from.
Grain absorbtion losses-7 you must be using a fair chunk of grain around the 7kg Mark your OG of 1.077 seems on the money then.
Ah well you'll have to brew more beer record your volumes and losses and adjust your profile so you don't get some miraculous 20 point boils:). Most I've got out of a 60 minute boil in a beer keg is 10 points and that was with around a 4lt boil off similar to what your profile suggests. So yeah something is a wry with that 20 points me thinks

Back