Has anyone ever Used carafa

Reaction score
Wondering what kinda of taste it adds? Chocolaty? Caramel, Nutty? description i read said it adds minimal taste but doubt something so dark would be minimal/small on flavor.

Same as Roasted Barley or Coffee Roast or UK Chocolate, depending on whether it's III, II or I. Look at the lovibond number and that'll tell you what to expect. It's all very roasty flavor. It matters whether it's dehusked - that will add less bitterness overall.

I have the dehusked and all I can say is trub anyone, lots of fallout

Ok That's what I thought. Was thinking of using it for color, but that flavor won't work.

Every time I have anything that uses even a pinch of really dark roast for color, I really taste it. If I want color, I'll add CaraMunich or C-40 or C-60 or UK Brown Malt, depending on the beer. Those will give some flavor notes that range from nutty/toasty/caramel to dark toffee/caramelized fruit.

I use dehusked carafa II in my black IPA, too novice to comment on what it adds to the beer

Last edited:
If you want color, but not the roasted flavor, use sinimar. It's an extract that gives a black color.

If you want some roasted flavor, but not bitterness, use Briess' blackprinz malt or midnight wheat (like in a black IPA).

You could also use dehusked carafa (I think it's called 'special') at vorlauf to just give some color with less roastiness.

Ok That's what I thought. Was thinking of using it for color, but that flavor won't work.
If all you want is color, find some Sinamar extract. In low amounts, Carafa is good for color as well. Any roasted malt is going to add some flavor, I just like the flavor Carafa adds.

Thank you everyone, the sinamar extract sounds like interesting option. I will take a look at that

It all depends on what color you are trying to achieve thus how much you are looking to use. I use carafa special III all the time to add color with no noticeable flavor impact. What style is this related to?

It all depends on what color you are trying to achieve thus how much you are looking to use. I use carafa special III all the time to add color with no noticeable flavor impact. What style is this related to?
Its a hybrid/custom ale. Trying to come up with a dark color but lighter flavor profile. Hard to explain.

Carafa works well for this. Use it to cap your mash - keep it out until you sparge. Color and a bit of smooth chocolate. Just put 7 oz in a 6 gallon Schwarzbier, no sign of roasted flavor.

One way to add plenty of color without actual roasted/burnt malt is with very dark candi-syrup. You'll get a slight slight burnt sugar note from the darkest versions, but it tends to register as dark/dried fruit in the flavor profile.

Back