New Project, freezing wort

Ozarks Mountain Brewery

Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Reaction score
thinking of mashing 2 row, 20 pounds of it and freezing it in 2 gallon baggies, then treat it like an extract later when I brew ...... anyone ever do this sound like fun

My brother tried freezing some of his wort to save and turn it into a candle (he's weird), and once his fermentation stalled he thawed it and added more yeast to it to use as a starter. It did work, but it seemed like it gave the beer kind of an off flavor. It was still drinkable, but you could definitely taste the flavor difference. Not sure if using it as an extract would be different.

Your going to get off flavors in a freezer. Can it in quart jars. Do you have a pressure cooker? Preserves keep for years if done properly.

yes I do, was thinking about both ways, storing in the chest freezer just seemed easier than 50 jars on a shelf I already do that with green beens lol

We went to pints for green beans now the kids are out of the house :D . I use quarts to save out some wort for starters sometimes. Pretty handy for that.

I freeze wort for use in starters and never had an issue, and my starters begin as slants. Sure saves on having to buy DME. I prefer to reuse sour cream containers, but I will also use freezer bags if necessary. If you do freeze your wort don't over fill your containers or you will have one sticky mess (ask me how I know).

thinking about trying it while its still winter and I can chill down to 65 in 15 minutes, I think the off flavors are from adding it too hot

Back