Headspace in the fermenter

MattV

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is my third brew and Ive upgraded my fermenter to 23 Litres (6 gallons), however due to living in an apartment im restricted to the amount I can boil. So ive opted to boil 11 litres.

My question is should I be reducing the headspace during the primary fermentation process to reduce oxidisation or during the secondary? And should I be purchasing a smaller sized fermenter to suit my boil size?

Apoligise if this question is confusing. Let me know if you need me to clarify anything else.

Thank you all for your time

It’s not ideal, but remember, yeast needs to be well oxygenated prior to yeast Pitch, so oxygen for the first short while isn’t a bad thing, in fact, the opposite. All the while, the yeast is fermenting away and generating plenty of CO2 to clear out any remaining oxygen.

Ok yeah that makes sense. Thank you for answering my question Mase.

I ferment 14L batches in 23 litre buckets. I've only had an oxygenation problem once with a (way too) heavily dry hopped beer. Like Mase said, the C02 will push the remaining oxygen out of the fermenter. You only need to be careful when dry hopping. I have the best luck popping half the lid and SLOWLY putting my hand in to drop the hop charge with minimal splashing. Slowly pull hand out, seal bucket, and you're good.

Back