Mosaic & Hull Melon combo

Sanktwo

Premium Member
Reaction score
Brewing an extract IPA
got the idea from a beer I had over the weekend that had Sterling and Hull Melon hops

so I came up with this recipe with mosaic instead of sterling:
upload_2019-4-23_20-9-55.png

upload_2019-4-23_20-1-19.png

seems ok, right?

but doing some research I have seen everyone saying that the Mosaic would overtake the Hull Melon and I would hardly notice any melon flavor or aroma.

any feedback or suggestions welcome

thanks

what about something like this:

0.75 oz Mosaic (60min)
1.0 oz H melon (15min)
1.0 oz H melon (5min)

the IBU goes down to the 30s

or maybe something like this:

1 oz mosaic (60min)
1 oz melon (10min)
2 oz melon (5min)

Personally, I wouldn't waste the Mosaic on bittering. I would just use something high alpha to get the IBUs where you want and save the Mosaic for it's flavor/aroma goodness. Do you plan to dry hop? Do you have more hops to use?

here's a thought:
bittering hop (60 min) enough to get IBUs up to ~60?
1 oz melon (15 min)
1 oz mosaic (5 min)
2 oz melon (5 min)
1 oz mosaic (dry)
1 oz melon (dry)

Personally, I wouldn't waste the Mosaic on bittering. I would just use something high alpha to get the IBUs where you want and save the Mosaic for it's flavor/aroma goodness. Do you plan to dry hop? Do you have more hops to use?

here's a thought:
1 oz melon (15 min)
1 oz mosaic (5 min)
2 oz melon (5 min)
1 oz mosaic (dry)
1 oz melon (dry)
I played around with HM a bit back when it was fairly new, and yes, it has a hard time holding its own against other hops and/or malt.
This ^^ looks pretty good, but you are really going to want something very neutral for bittering if you are going for ~60 IBUs!

Seconding SBAClimber: Huell Melon is subtle. Light lagers, Koelsches, blondes can benefit from it, it'll get lost in darker or more hoppy beers. Recommend Magnum for bittering, easy to paint over with flavor and aroma hops.

Can't go wrong with Magnum for bittering. I have never used Melon with a very powerful hop which is probably why the beer from the OP had Sterling in it. I use Melon in my hoppy lager along with Mandarina and Hallertau Blanc.

here's a thought:
1 oz melon (15 min)
1 oz mosaic (5 min)
2 oz melon (5 min)
1 oz mosaic (dry)
1 oz melon (dry)

I wasn't planning on dry hopping this batch
I ordered the hops online bc my LHBS didn't have the melon
of course, I have to go back to LBHS for the yeast and may just scrap this recipe if they didn't receive any melon in their recent shipment. decisions, decisions.......

so my hops came in today and the date on the melon hops is 5/23/16, 3 years old are you kidding me???? Do pellets have a shelf life???

if the hops were not on sale or clearance, and all indications were that you were getting a new crop year hop, I would be seeking some sort of restitution...

who did you order from?

And yes pellets do have a shelf life.....

Usually hops, if nitrogen flushed, should last 3 years. Now when you order hops, the shop shows or should show the crop year. I wouldn't buy 3 years old hops, unless you know the shop takes care of them and the price is way lower.

I've used hops a couple of years old but by the pound direct from the producer and with assurance that they've been stored at cold temps. Since they're nitrogen-packed, they last very under those conditions. Since I re-package in sealed vacuum bags, I haven't experienced any problems.
If you bought clearance hops, I'm not sure you have much recourse. They should have been noted as to harvest year, but sometimes they won't be with special sales. Generally, I assume that they're old and never buy from the resellers like Label Peelers, etc.

if the hops were not on sale or clearance, and all indications were that you were getting a new crop year hop, I would be seeking some sort of restitution...

who did you order from?

And yes pellets do have a shelf life.....

ordered from Northern brewer

Yup never walked away from NB unhappy. They will make it right. As said if kept cold and vacuum nitrogen packed from source should be ok. Won't last long after opening though.

That’s really odd from Northern Brewer. The good news... call them and they will fix it with no questions asked.

talked to them yesterday and their response was "they should be good and that their 2018 crop isn't in the system yet so to open them and smell them. if they smell like parmesan cheese they are bad if they don't then they are good. if they are good put them in a ziplock and store in fridge or freezer until needed.

so I did this and I thought they smelled ok but my wife said they smell horrible maybe cheese like. so i'm just scrapping the whole huell melon hops idea and going another route. I wasn't to sure about the recipe anyway

I think I'm going to go with a mosaic + eukanot combo of some sort, oh well RDWAHAHB, lol

so I did this and I thought they smelled ok but my wife said they smell horrible maybe cheese like.
Most folks not used to working with hops think they all stink pretty badly. My wife isn't at all fond of all the hop pellets I use for her favorite Pale Ale, but once they get into the beer, she can't get enough of 'em. ;)
It's usually garlicky/oniony notes that show up along with the florals and fruits but we're pretty used to ignoring the dank earthiness because we're used to smelling hops pretty regularly.

Back