Brewing efficiency question??

William257

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello I brew a 3.5gal BIAB batch last night all went well but my Efficiency was 58.07% now what The heck am I doing wrong I am using a Brewer’s Edge Mash&Boil Unit for my BIAB mashing. Now here a pic of my recipe https://i.imgur.com/qR8cOi3.png Now the grain’s you see in that recipe are double crush I mash those grain’s at 152f for 75min an then I lift the basket out of the Mash&Boil an let it drain until I got to my pre-boil volume am boil for 60min now my pre-boil gravity was 1.050 after temperature correction an my OG was 1.063 after temperature correction now my projected OG for this beer was 1.064 so I only miss my recipe Projected OG by 1 point...

You basically hit your OG, so I wouldn't worry about it honestly. When I was doing BIAB I generally got around 65% efficiency. If you made the amount of beer you set out to make and the OG is that close, run with it!

I would plan on using 58% efficiency for future batches. You could up that by milling finer and adjusting your mash pH. With a recirculating mash I consistently get 75-80% efficiency.

As Craig said you were one point off your desired OG. I didn't see a sparge in there that will help extract more sugar from the grain bag. I routinely get around 80% out of my Biab rig. I mash thin 5lt /kg grain u stir the mash well try and hit good PH and start low on the beta Amalyse then step up high 70ish C alpha to finish. I usually get near 100% extraction this way.
Only way to get better is keep brewing and taking notes. But next brew try and sparge you bag man you'll get a couple of points out of it.

I also use a Brewers Edge. I get about 75% from my batches. I have found that I need slightly more water per pound of grain to start with, otherwise it is just too thick. I also recycle about a gallon of wort every 15 minutes from bottom to top, stir once or twice, and vorlauf at the end of the mash. Not sure if you are doing this. Also as Trailben says, I sparge at the end to get my final boil volume.

Last edited:

Back